Chef Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this topic has been done to death, and I HAVE read every related post, but I wanted to throw out my own circumstances for the usual criticism/critique/people telling me how much work it is...

I am living in a small town near a ski area (I'm being purposly vague)... We have busy winters and REALLY busy summers with dead seasons in the spring and early fall... I am a young cook (24) cooking since I was 14, I am currently holding two cooking jobs at fine dining restaurants (one brunch on weekends and breakfast and lunch on weekdays, the other working saute for a dinners only place)... I want to open my own restaurant because there is a glaring hole in the local cusine and I am sick of working for some of the people I work for (to be fair, some of the people I work for are great, but others are terrible)... As far as quality dinners go, the area has one botique pizza place, one mediocre italian pasta place, a fine dining southern/american place, and a fine dining steakhouse... That's it... All these places are PACKED in the summer, doing reservation only, three turns a night, big hits every night... and pretty busy in the winter... even on the slowest nights, we turn 75 covers...

There is a restaurant that recently closed that was a breakfast/brunch/lunch place that was owned by a wonderful wealthy woman who really loves good food and wanted her own restaurant, she tried to staff and run the place herself and had bizarre hours and a lot of competition (tons of breakfast and lunch places around, cafes, coffeshops and the like)... So she still owns a gorgeous space with an open kitchen that I reckon is capable of turning out 100-120 covers a night fully staffed (3 cooks, a prepper, 2 dish dogs) of good, fine dining french/medeterranian food... The house could seat 35 in one room and another 25 in the other... I want to convince this woman that the restaurant could be profittable if she was willing to finance it, and that it's a waste to have the space empty and unused, especially going into the summer season...

I am used to working a lot (I already do 60-80 hour weeks depending on business) and I have run my own non-foodservice business before... I have a pretty good understanding of the financial end of things (payroll, accounting) and I have good friends with more experience than me in these areas willing to help... I have a very good working knowlege of food costing and menu design and pricing (I have done lots of this)... and I have worked my own kitchens before, hired cooks and dishers, etc...

Here are the questions... First of all, I'm only 24... What the %&*#@ am I doing thinking I could start a restaurant... Second, I'd need to get someone to handle front of house, I have someone in mind, who is good, but should I consider running a restaurant without a lot of experience outside the kitchen?... Third, can it really be as simple to make this profittable as it sounds? I know you'll all say no, but I've run the numbers a lot of times and no matter what, it looks good... Restaurants out here do well and they get a lot of business... Especially the fine dining places... The restaruant is already 90% equipt... If I paid a living wage, I'd have no trouble staffing... I've spent my time doing the homework and it seems that after overhead, payroll, food costs, front-of house costs, a generous chunk of change for odds and ends, the restaurant could easily turn a low end of 1000 and a high end of 5000 profit in the summer and a low of 0 and high of 1500 in the dead season... Something between there and there in the winter (that's all per week)...

Could it be possible...

Sorry for the long post... If ya'll really care enough to answer and want more details on numbers, etc... I have PLENTY of data, opinions, rants and draft business plans all written that I could toss out there... But I figure enough is enough for today...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.