Chef Forum banner

Opinions,please?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  shroomgirl 
#1 ·
I have a fairly important family dinner this Sunday (30th). What do you all think of this menu. Brandied Acorn Squash soup. Walnut-brined pork loin with port and cherry sauce. Confit of wild mushroom risotto with thyme and rosemary. Sauteed spinach. Yogurt bundt cake with peach compote and black pepper creme fraiche. Whadda think? By the way, if any of you guys live in Minnesota, your peaches ROCK. The best I've ever had.

#2 ·
Brandied Acorn Squash soup.
Walnut-brined pork loin with port and cherry sauce.
Confit of wild mushroom risotto with thyme and rosemary.
Sauteed spinach.
Yogurt bundt cake with peach compote and black pepper creme fraiche.

Is the soup very sweet? I think it depends on the sweetness of the soup. I think if it is on the sweeter side, I personally would leave the meal with almost too many memories of sweetness, with the sauce for the loin also being sweet. But maybe I'm too picky.

It sounds very seasonal, though. Lucky family!

~~Shimmer~~

#3 ·
Shimmer,
I do not make the soup any sweeter than the natural sweetness of the squash. I also like to add a hint of heat in the form of cayenne. Not hot, just a deep bass line to the flavor profile. I don't disagree with your critique. I questioned it myself. That is why I'm using the spinach. I saute it in olive oil with garlic and finish it with a tiny splach of cider vinegar. I think I'll also change the dessert to a simple lemon sorbet or something along those lines.

#5 ·
Pollyg,
Very simple. Standard salt/sugar brine with walnut vinegar. The product I have is from Sysco International. They are a very large purveyor here in the states. It probably wouldn't be too hard to find in a good food store. BTW, if you do search you will find a forum in the archives on brining that has good salt/sugar ratios for brines.

#7 ·
Why are you getting rid of the bundt. I personally think the sorbet is to acidic of a finish. I would have to taste the pepper sauce though. A good way to remove any sweetness from the squash is to smoke. Ya know we smoke everything here in the south. Cut those acorn, fill with granny smiths, garlic,cayenne S&P, tie em up and smoke.If your not used to smoking you can tea smoke them on the range.
Just a thought,
Jeff
ps I would replace the brandy with JD

#9 ·
To all,
The dinner was a smashing success. Everything was enjoyed by all. I wound up doing no dessert as my Mother made a last-of- the-rhubarb pie. Perfect ending. My Grandmother said that my spinach tasted just like HER Mother's, which was the best compliment I've ever received on my cooking. O&W, I tried to figure a smoke element into this menu, but the company I was cooking for may not have enjoyed it as much as I would have. I also didn't think the smoke would fit with the brine. Just didn't feel right. I spiced the soup just right, too. A little sweet, a little heat. Very rich, but everyone had second and took some home. A meal to be proud of for those that I love. :cool:

[ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: mofo1 ]

#10 ·
The best kind!!! My mom's birthday was last week and I made day scallop and lobster salad with Creole mustard/mayo/tarragon/capers/lemon. Huge baby green salad with baby artichokes (fresh!!!) last of the season tomatoes, Dover sole with market haricot verte, Squash soup from the market (StLouis James Beard competition team was selling it for a fundraiser). Jonathon Apple crisp....we had 6 kids from 11 mo through 16 most under 10 and then 4 adults....so had to be kid friendly menu/+ mom picked white fish as the protein....great meal, good time,that's what makes super memories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.