Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 24 Posts

· Registered
643 Posts
I had the good fortune of living in Spain for a couple years and returned with the Diaz family recipe from Real de San Vicente a small village northwest of Madrid.   Their recipe is mostly the same as others described avoe and Ingredients can vary to your personal tastes, but technique is very important.  They used orange and olive wood, but not always.  They also added mussels which I didn't see mentioned above.  Two huge keys:  Large shallow pan and DON'T STIR!!!  The crust on bottom is the best part and is what makes it Paella.  The way they did it, it was pretty brown on bottom.

· Registered
643 Posts
For the rice to have "...a special note....", how is the rice stored or prepared using orange wood?
It is traditionally cooked over a fire of orange wood. Smoke scent/flavor gets into rice.

@Sheila Viana - I am very interested in reading your blog. It has been 20 years since I was on your native soil and I miss it dearly. I have been to every part of Spain, but am most familiar with Castilla y Leon, Castilla La Mancha, and Galicia. I love Valencia though. Tomatina and Las Fallas are forever etched in my brain. What part do you hail from?

1 - 3 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.