Chef Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my ACF Sous chef exam and I must say, it was alittle harder than I thought. I passed with a 74 but was kinda shocked I didn't do better.

Any way I took a year worth of studying 5 books while also taking classes. Now all I need to get my certification is my grades from the Nutrition course at the end of this semester (final on April 29)

I was suprised that I had no questions about food costing or costing out of menu items ---etc...

The baking part is what really killed me(since it has been years since I have actually baked anything)

also was suprised about the French meaning of Hor D'ourves (and yes I did get it right)

Billy

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Congrats Billy. :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well If I would have spelled it corect. Hors D'oeuvre ;-)

Outside the work!! top of page 412 in "The Art And Science of Culinary Preparation"

It was a loooong night tonight.

Billy

·
Registered
427 Posts
Congrats on your passing of the Sous Chef exam!!!!

:chef: :roll: :bounce: :beer: :smiles: :crazy: :smoking: :cool:

Was the book "The Art And Science of Culinary Preparation" the most beneficial to you for the exam. And how do you Count up points? I guess it doesn't matter to me now since I'm only a student. But Nietzche says, "A man without a plan is not a man". So I'm just planning right now............

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes---and no.

I would say a combination of several, including
The Art and Science
New Pro chef 7th edition
On Cooking (my personal fave)
Pro cooking 4th edition
Sauces--classical and contemporary sauce making
CIA'S Gardemange book, The Art and Craft of the Cold Kitchen (me like a lot also)

the ServeSafe Sanitation Course book.

Thats what did it for me.
If I would have taken that **** Baking class last semester,Pro baking had a couple of things from it on the test.

Enjoy and happy reading.

Billy

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Congratulations on passing your exam Billy! :bounce:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.