Chef Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can find it in health food stores, mostly in capsules, so you'll have to empty them.

Pectin is used for texture, and you cook it to reach a certain temperature and to cook out liquids to reach a certain solid content. I find that a refractometer is more accurate to temperature, especially since we use induction burners in our kitchens.

Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If your using a frozen puree with 10% sugar .the company that makes the product should have recipie formulas . there nice to have I have one for sorbet and gumies , and Mousse .I fudge them a bit but there great starting blocks.
induction burners in Chicago who do you work for?
FPS ?
Tommy

·
Registered
65 Posts
At work, I make pate de fruit that is very successful and shipped nationwide. This, of course, is an industrial secret and cannot tell you about (well, I can tell you that this recipe is way different from anything mentioned in this thread). However, there is a book that has a similar recipe that does work and that I have made in my and other friends kitchens:
Chocolate and Confections by Greweling.
I would quote you the recipe, but I am at home and the book is at work.
However, I do highly recommend you buy if you like to make chocolates and candies.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've been quite successful with using a bit of apple as a base and then adding other ingredients. Add a crap ton of sugar and lemon juice, put on some gloves, roll down your coat sleeves and tie some twine around the cuffs and cook the **** out of it!

I have some slow set pectin powder that I'm not too fond of. It creates an unpleasant texture even if I use a little.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I always use Louis Francois pectin jaune (french) in combination with puree, sugar, trimolene and glucose. I don't know if you can get LF products in the states but if you do, give me a pm and i'll get you the full recipe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My niece brought me some Jaune Pectin from Paris.

I am wondering if you can share your recipe. I tried three from Notter's book but they don't come out too my liking.

I know this is an old post but maybe you still connect.

Regards,

James

·
Registered
183 Posts
My niece brought me some Jaune Pectin from Paris.

I am wondering if you can share your recipe. I tried three from Notter's book but they don't come out too my liking.

I know this is an old post but maybe you still connect.

Regards,

James
When you say the fruit jellies dont come out to your liking, what do you mean? Is it a texture you dont like, or are they not setting up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am actually in Mexico City (7,300 Feet). The first time I made strawberry PDF with Notter's recipe. I bought the pectine I used at Euro Bakery which only sell professional use products. I bought more pectine from the same source two more times. However, the results with passion fruit and raspberry were not the same. I did make the required temperature adjustments for my altitude. I used Patis France fruit purees in all my attempts. No matter what the results were not too appealing. I don't know if my altitude/temp calculations were off (but again, they worked the first time) or from all the reading I've done lately I am seeing a lot of issues with pectine. Now that I have this Jaune pectin I want to try again but if there is another recipe I can try I would like to do that in order to isolate the issue further. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry. What I mean is that it is not setting right and when I try to cut it its texture is more pasty than firm. One of the batches stayed that way even after days in the fridge.

I also should have mentioned that one of the batches was a 50/50 mix of passion fruit puree and strawberry puree. I don't know if that type of mix requires a recalculation of temperatures or added pectin. Just a thought.

Thanks very much for helping me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a home cook who occasionally like to make some special treats. I just found this group and greatly enjoy reading this thread. I would love to get help trouble-shooting my first batch pate de fruits with apple, which did not turn out so well.

The texture was more like dense apple sauce: it has no chewiness and when I roll in sugar, it turns into puddle of liquid within minutes. Even when I added cornstarch to the sugar to dust it, it still turned to puddles, but did last a few hours longer.

I used Sure-Jell  and lemon juice as the recipe called for.  A friend told an identical story with a different recipe using different fruits. It seems like not all the recipes out there work. Reading the postings here I am wondering if tartaric acid should have been used instead of lemon juice, or perhaps the recipe didn't call for enough lemon juice.

My recipe called for the mixture to be boiled to 225 degrees but I couldn't reach that. I boiled it for 45 minutes and it was at 220 degrees. If I boiled longer, would it have reached the desired temperature? or do I need to use a thicker pot? I used a multi-ply stainless steel pot.

Would liquid pectin have made a difference?

Would tartaric acide have made a difference? 

Would all pate de fruits that are rolled in sugar eventually have the sugar turn into puddles without some special dehydration process?

Will leaving the past in room temperature for a few days first help with the sugar coating issue? 

Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody got a good formula for this stuff that doesn't include trying to get a solid mass to an impossible temperature? I've used Michel Roux's a couple of times, but he doesn't specify what kind of pectin, and it's come out a few times, and stayed too soft a few times. I usually use this stuff called Pomona pectin which seems to be a bit stronger than Sure-gel. I just hate the idea of wasting 32 dollars worth of raspberry puree when I get it wrong.
Hello there - I have just made a very straightforward pate de fruit using a Japanese recipe with Agar powder as the jelling agent. It was really quick and the jelly was beautifully clear with just the right "firmness"

Here is the translation - I used Yuzu juice and bitter seville orange marmalade and the flavour was exceptional. The original recipe calls for "Mizuame" - a sugary syrup made from potato starch, but I used light agave syrup which worked fine. I'm sure different flavours could be used.

Ingredients

130ml water
2g powdered agar
220g white sugar
50g light agave syrup
25g Yuzu juice
25g bitter orange marmalade

extra white sugar to coat pates de fruit

Method

Place water in a saucepan and bring to a boil
Add the powdered agar and stir until dissolved
Add 220g white sugar and simmer until dissolved
Add Yuzu juice, agave syrup and orange marmalade
Stir until dissolved

Take of the heat and pour into a cling wrap covered rectangular or square pan
Allow to cool for 20-30 minutes
Refrigerate for one hour

(The original recipe called for 50g of Yuzu citron tea - a marmalade like substance made from Yuzu in Japan and Korea - I used a mixture of yuzu juice and marmalade but either should work)

Unmold and cut the jelly into small rectangles and coat with extra white sugar

I hope this is easier than the pectin recipes!

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
If you go online to Boiron, the French maker of a zillion different frozen fruit purées, you will find a zillion recipes for various pate de fruits.

All of the above call for yellow pectin, a dry granulated pectin. Tataric acid is commonly used to set the pectin, I’ve never tried lemon juice though. Boiling to temperature is important though, as higher temps mean more water evaporation, therefor a firmer consistency. Fruit fibre also plays a big role in the consistency, purees like mango, apple, raspberry have more fibre than citrus fruits, and therefor less pectin is needed.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.