Chef Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just ordered my first Carbon blade -- a 240 Misono Sweden -- and I'm curious about caring for this knife, specifically preventing rusting and reducing reactivity with foods.  So I guess those things are related to forming a patina.

My question(s):

Should I force a patina right away, using mustard or vinegar or similar?

Should I let it form naturally, but maybe help it along by slicing  a few pounds of onions/potatoes/other cheap produce?

Some other option?

I am now a home cook, so I do not have easy access to 50# bags of onions anymore.  Oddly mixed emotions about that...

· Registered
2,458 Posts
Better see how it reacts to a natural patina. Use it, wash it, dry it carefully (the tang also).

There's a beautiful wabi-sabi mistic in building natural patinas.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ben. I do plan to try to open up the knife pretty much right when I get it. I'm a bit of a novice sharpener, though. I know the basics (I think), more or less, but any tips related to the misono would certainly be appreciated.

· Registered
3,364 Posts
It's hard to beat a good looking mustard patina - check out Michael Rader's mustard kissed blades.  Interestingly I find slicing rare red meat to really hasten the job too as well as onion and ripe red bell peppers.  Cabbage too come to think of it.  

· Registered
24 Posts
Sure. Any abrasive. Think coarse ScotchBrite. But perhaps someone has a chemical instead of a mechanical solution.
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I wonder if baking soda would work as well.....

· Registered
24 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.