Chef Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse me if this is posted in the wrong area.

Opening a new place and starting to think about different forms of taking care of the team. I've flirted with the idea of hiring cooks and no sous chef, and also have thought of maybe I'm better off hiring a Sous Chef and one cook. What are your thoughts? I'd rather have a sous chef, someone whom already has a life interest in the kitchen, someone that can add their take on things and help out with scheduling, orders, inventory, etc.

I am not in a position where I can start with a big menu nor a big staff.

Thank you and Cheers!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I am confused now, in the OP you mentioned hiring cooks or a sous and a cook. Now it sounds like 2 cooks or one sous. Two cooks ($18-20hr) will probably cost more money over a years time than one sous (60k), so whether you will be losing money on two as opposed to one sous, I would suppose the answer on paper would be yes.; but as I stated previoiusly "I am confused now".

·
Registered
3 Posts
The main difference between the cook and the sous chef is that the cook will be specialized in one cuisine and the sous chef will be specialized in many special cuisines so he will get the better flavor and the taste of the food items that have been ordered by the customer. for cook you have to train him to get specialized in other cuisines also that will take more time for him to prepare food very quickly and perfectly.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
i dont think i framed my question right. this is purely from a financial place. do i get more out of one experienced person making 60k, or do i lose money on two people making $18-20hr?
If you hire the right person, you will get more work for the money, as that person is a responsible food service employee.
They clearly have the knowledge, experience, and motivation to carry out the day-to-day work.
If you hire two people off the street with very little to no experience working in a kitchen, you will lose money.
You will have to spend your time and energy correcting mistakes and losing food to waste.

Now that being said, it's very difficult to find that right person.
What you see on a resume and what they actually do, can be two entirely different things.
Does your place need a Sous Chef?
What kind of food?
Is the menu complicated?

As for tipping, I have no use for it in any way. To me, tipping tells me the owner is too cheap to pay a decent living wage.
A bonus can come from a percentage point of sales. added to the paycheck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts