Chef Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of you pet lovers feed your pets some good stuff, be it raw or cooked and there are a lot of homemade treat recipes out there for all sorts of animals. Anyone want to share?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I confess to having two very spoiled greyhounds. :)

I don't bake for them very often but here's a couple treats that they've enjoyed. The frozen one I actually do regularly as they love it in the summer here...

Frosty Paws:
1 large can pumpkin(no spices)
12 oz vanilla yogurt

Mix together and pour into dixie cups. Place on cookie sheet and freeze. I keep these in a ziplock bag in the freezer.

Peanut Butter Biscuits
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/4 cups peanut butter
1 tablespoon molasses

Combine flour, oats, and baking powder in large bowl. In smaller bowl, combine milk, peanut butter, and molasses until smooth. Stir into flour mixture. Knead until stiff. Roll out 1/4" thick, then cut out with cookie cutter. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Let cool and dry until crunchy in oven. Store in an airtight container

Banana Mutt Cookies
3 cups bananas mashed
1 tsp vanilla
6 cups oats
1 cup peanuts chopped
1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Use teaspoon to drop on baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and press flat. Bake for approximately 15 minutes ot until slightly brown. Cool on rack and store in airtight container. Yield approx 2 dozen cookies

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a very picky eater of a Lab. I baked biscuits for him only once and I used the recipe from a Bernard Clayton bread book. He liked those lots, but I haven't made them in a long time. To get him to eat his dinner, his fave thing is chicken picked off the bones from when I make chicken stock and some diced cheese added to his dry dog food. His fave cheese is parmesan... I think it's the strong smell. He won't touch processed American cheese. He also won't eat fruit unless it's just perfectly ripe and he seems to be better at picking out fruit than I am. Sometimes I worry about that dog.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That's funny. I used to have a cat that went wild for canned pineapple. My current kitty doesn't really care for treats, but there was a time that she would only eat Dannon Light Blueberry yogurt. She didn't care for any other flavor or brand.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ziggy I loved the recipes. I have never cooked doogie treats but I think I will give it a try. I particularly like the pumpkin popsicle idea. Thanks so much.

I have two Golden Retrievers. Favorite all round snack is baby carrots I always have a bag in the fridge. My old golden enjoys strawberries.?? My young golden has a liking for green grapes and cheese- any kind will do nicely...there was an unfortunate incident with a large round of Brie....

Two cats- siamese with attitude. The male has a passion for tomatoes. He hunts them out and eats them. I have to literally hide them in a cupboard.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dogs and cats are not picky eaters. Their owners only think they are cute and special so they feed them cute and special food.

Feed dogs and cats any good dry kibble type food -- By "good" I mean those found at pet stores - Eukanuba or Iams are examples, not the mass-marketed grocery store Purinas foir example. Purina does make some excellent high quality dog feed but it has nothing to do w ith achuck wagon or a gravy and is sold in professional locations.

If you want to spoil yourself, or think it's cute, feel free to make dog/cat goodies. But you can find better ways to waste your time -- like training your pet!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Nancy Silverton has great recipes for pets in her bread book.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Capecoddler you've obviously never been owned by a cat.

Some are extememly fussy! I had one that only ate only white albacore tuna and would turn her nose away from brands more robust in scent or flavor (one of my first realizations of how sick she had become before she died was that she wouldn't eat even her favorite food).

Also some cats have problems with high ph foods, I have one that can eat nothing but pryscription food (for a small fortune). One that LOVES the husk on corn and another that adores to eat the corn fresh off the cob (what a team).

I just drove by the neatest looking pet shop yesterday downtown Chicago where they sell homemade pet treats. Maybe someone else is familar with the place, it was over in bucktown.... Anyway, I think I saw a recipe or two over at Martha's site for doggie treats if your still looking?

But it's fun to please them, after all they do so much (although it's natural) to please us! :D

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
1 15yr. old Chow, 2 Beagle puppies, 1 visiting Retriever pup for 2 wks. All from operation kindness.
One beagle eats anything, charcol,tin foil,wood,screwdrivers etc. The other loves peaches, he eats the fall off from our tree, he must have eaten 30 lbs. and gained 10 lbs..
Last summer I could have sworn the neighbor was stealing my tomatoes. I'd eye some near ripe and pooof, they were gone.Only found out by scooping that it was the beagle.
The old chow, who is a teddy bear, does sometimes have a craving for beagle. Iams puppy treats,great, always mismarked at every albeertsons 1.69 24 oz box/

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ah, old&wise, I used to have a big teddy bear of a chow. He used to chew on others once in a while, but he loved me. Have a soft spot in my heart for the big babies!

·
Registered
205 Posts
One of my cats (out of the four) has breathing problems, which become far more pronounced when he's fed commercial food.

Therefore, I feed all my cats the "I'd Do Anything For My Cat" diet out of The New Natural Cat.

4 parts chicken (or other meat, but usually chicken)
2 parts grain (usually soaked raw oatmeal or cooked brown rice)
2 parts vegetables (grated raw zucchini or sweet potato, cooked squash, leftover steamed stuff from my dinner...)
Vitamin E, one drop per cat
Ester-C powder, about a quarter tsp for all four cats
Omega-3 essential fatty acid oil, about 1 tsp into mix for all four cats
Supplement powder, meant to simulate the Perfect Mouse, 1 tsp per cat; the powder's got calcium, lecithin, nutritional yeast and kelp powder in it.
Sometimes I put in some chopped alfalfa sprouts. The cats like that.

It's made a huge difference in William's breathing; two of the others, who were getting very fat and greasy, have slimmed down a lot; everyone's coat is soft, silky and luxuriant. So what if my cats eat better than I do! It isn't really significantly more expensive than a good, junk-free commercial brand - and even those (which we sometimes resort to when we run out of chicken) make William hack and wheeze if he eats them more than a day or two in a row.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Chocolate, my long-haired brown Manxter, is the most quintessential feline. He demands that I mix his (note "his") Fancy Feast cat food with some powdered onion and garlic. Yeooow, yummy! Nothing else will do. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Our first adopted orphan Schnauzer Frayser adores all food people, especially bananas. He sits very patiently at my feet in the morning waiting for the tag end. Asparagus with fresh butter is his other fav. The other orphan Greta is pickier about her choice of people food. We've only had her for two months, but she prefers cantalope and peaches to veggies it seems.....and any sort of meat with juices........ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
659 Posts
One of my three cockers will only eat her canned dog food with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. Their favorite fruit is apples. My cat likes chocolate, and can become quite a little bandit in order to get it. I found this out when we discovered her lapping up the icing on a birthday cake at a party we were having. She also likes any kind of cheese treat. The last time we all discussed our pets I had two cockers. Well, guess what? My 16 year old male who never gets out of the yard impregnated the dog across the street! So did the two male dogs in each of the two yards behind us. The girl dog jumped fences and went to each of these 'dads :)' Since my dog is so old, I just had to take baby Buddy. He looks just like his dad, so there's no question in any of our minds as to who the father is. So far, Buddy's favorite snacks are shoes, slippers, furniture, clothes......

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ming, I find your post very interesting. Please tell me more. My old dog has cost us a fortune in ear infections that never go away. He's even had surgery for a hematoma. That alone cost us $1,000.00. It's been a lifelong battle.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Oh my God!

Just hope that Titika and Sotiris (my cat and my dog) are not registered members in our forum so that they read what you feed your pets.
I wish also that my husband doesn't finds out what you feed your pets!!!!
:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Dear Friends:

I feed Maigret, my little Scottie, a diet that includes olive oil, garlic, beef liver, and a base of Yucanuba puppy food for small breeds (one meal only -all mixed together). He also loves to eat a banana every day!

I really wonder sometimes about what form Maigret had in his previous life! :rolleyes:

:)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Vegan Cat Biscuits

This treat also fights fleas.

9 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups water
1 cup Nutritional Yeast
1 1/2 tbs salt
1 tbs garlic powder

* Preheated oven to 350 degrees
* Mix all of the ingredients together.
* Knead until you create a dough.
* Roll out to 1/8" thickness.
* Cut into desired shapes
* Bake for about 15 minutes

Once they are ready, leave them either in the oven, or on a rack overnight to ensure they become dry and hard.

·
Registered
334 Posts
this is a great recipe for dog biscuits; been making it for 20 years.

everything you strain out of your stockpot, minus hard bones.
enough plain flour, any type, to make a workable, heavy dough.

cool and grind the stockpot ingredients very fine-a cuisinart works great for this
add flour and work until well mixed.
roll out like clay snakes. lop off into chunks you think your dog can manage easily. put these onto cookie sheets and bake at 300 for 1/2 hour-turn, another half hour, turn-then on 250 for as long as overnight if you want depending on the humidity, the size of the chunks and how long you can stand the smell-not unpleasant, rather delicious in fact! but strong. your goal is perfectly dry, hard chunks.
cool and store like hardtack or cookies, with a packet of dessicant in the container. they keep forever.
this also works for leftovers if you want to freeze and stockpile them until you have enough for a big go.

remember, kids, dogs eat- lets call them 'cat flavored tootsie rolls'. :eek: if you think they have discriminating tastes, you've been conned! :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.