Chef Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this recipe for Pickled Ginger, but I have some questions about it.

1/3 LB ginger
1/3 C rice vinegar
1/4 C sugar
1/4 TS salt

Using a sharp knife or beriner cutter, shave the ginger into paper thin slices. In a small airtight container combine vinegar sugar and salt. Blanch ginger in boiling water for 30 seconds, drain and cool.
Add the cooled ginger to the vinegar mixture: mix well. Store marinating ginger in the refrigerator . Pickled ginger can be eaten after 24 hours of marinating. It will keep several weeks. Good with either sushi or noodles.

Does the ginger have to be removed from the marinade after it is ready, or is it ok to store it in the marinade ?

Should a person go through the whole canning process, or will a mason jar with a cap on it be good enough ?

Thank you for your help,

Jeff

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I never made pickled ginger, but as far as I know Japanese pickled ginger is packed in its liquid.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I wouldn't bother processing (canning) it -- but I would keep it in the fridge. You'd have to anyway once you open it, even if you do can it. Rice vinegar has a relatively low % acidity. (Yes, keep it in the marinade.)

Remember, this stuff will be natural color, not pink like the pickled ginger you usually get in restaurants. They add color to make it pink.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just bought Ming Tsai's cookbook "Blue Ginger" and he puts in a small piece of red beet to give the pink colour. His pickled ginger recipe is on my "to try" list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.