Chef Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not happy with the result. I crushed some pineapple, let the NY strip sit in it for 1 hour and 40 minutes. Everything looked OK, but the steak would not form the usual crusty sear. It was tender, but in tasting it, though it didn't taste like pineapple, it didn't taste exactly like steak either, and didn't taste good at all.

Given this experience I have to wonder why this method would ever be suggested. Anyone ever had success with this, or anything similar?

· Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was just looking for more tender. Got the idea from Gugafoods on youtube, an accidental stumble-upon. They claimed the pineapple marinated steak was better in their tests, just for the heck I thought I'd try. Last time I'll take them seriously.

I take it then that I should not try any sort of tenderizer on any steak I want good steak flavor and sear from?

· Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeh it was fresh, and it did tenderize, but it destroyed the steak, for what steak should be anyways. I mean it was such an abomination I can't for the life of me understand how they could think it any kind of improvement.

· Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I always salt [and pepper also] my steaks ahead, typically 12-24 hours ahead of cooking, and I have heard it has a mild tenderizing affect. Different flavor profile if you season just an hour before cooking, sometimes I prefer it that way. No salt residue in the pan when you go 12+.

Funny KK, I heard asian pear, onion soy and honey is a pretty standard Korean marinade for beef, but as substitutes for the AP regular pears were not listed, rather kiwi, rice wine and one or two others.

· Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was close to 1". I rinsed and wiped, then seasoned and air dried to almost a pelicle before cooking, but the poor steak just wasn't itself anymore. I believe the same poor surface results would have been there even if limited to a half hour marinade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.