Chef Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am looking to add a Friday-Saturday night prime rib to our menu. I am trying to get my hands on an alto sham but have not received it just yet. Looking to do a soft opening in the near future. Any techniques, recipes, methods, equipment suggestions, etc. that you all can provide will be greatly appreciated.

From what I understand an altosham seems to be the hands down #1 tool to do it right and minimize waste. The restaurant I manage is trying to make a comeback and build back its reputation. They are known for Brazilian BBQ but we have been stripped down to our bare bones with no BBQ pit until further renovation/investment can happen. We offer Latin American food with flare. Lots of steak/seafood options. The restaurant is in a town of "steak eaters" and seems to be high demand for steak with little competition. So I really want to do this right and build a following.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help!

Zach

· Registered
346 Posts
Hello!

I am looking to add a Friday-Saturday night prime rib to our menu. I am trying to get my hands on an alto sham but have not received it just yet. Looking to do a soft opening in the near future. Any techniques, recipes, methods, equipment suggestions, etc. that you all can provide will be greatly appreciated.

From what I understand an altosham seems to be the hands down #1 tool to do it right and minimize waste. The restaurant I manage is trying to make a comeback and build back its reputation. They are known for Brazilian BBQ but we have been stripped down to our bare bones with no BBQ pit until further renovation/investment can happen. We offer Latin American food with flare. Lots of steak/seafood options. The restaurant is in a town of "steak eaters" and seems to be high demand for steak with little competition. So I really want to do this right and build a following.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help!

Zach
Places I worked said there isn't much profit in prime rib, it was used as a loss leader and on limited basis, when it ran out it was gone. We just roasted it in a regular stove oven to around 120F and put it under the lamp.

You'd make a lot more money with chicken.

· Registered
5,143 Posts
an altosham seems to be the hands down #1 tool to do it right and minimize waste.
I worked at a Prime Rib house in an internationally well known ski resort. Chef used an alto-shaam and it was the absolute best prime rib I have ever had anywhere. For service we
hold in holding oven, in a full size chafer pan wit foil over.
When we were cranking (which was most of the time) he would keep the one prime rib we working on under a heat lamp on the line because we went through it quickly. If someone wanted a medium, medium well, done, etc, chef would place leaf lettuce in a saute pan and put the sliced portion on top of the lettuce, then top it with more lettuce and finish it under the salamander or oven. Throw out lettuce and plate.

· Registered
3,459 Posts
Having prepped and sold thousands of Prime Ribs in my career, I have to agree with the posts so far.
Having PR on the menu is considered a loss item.
If, and I mean "IF" you are a location where PR is big and sell through a few loins each night, that's one thing, but if you are putting PR on the menu for weekends only, it's not always going to sell out.
I came from an age before Alto-Sham, and the lamp and foil thing were the usual.

· Registered
5,143 Posts
I came from an age before Alto-Sham,
LOL!!! Hell even I am not that old! Alto-Shaam came out with low temperature, overnight cooking and holding of prime rib oven in the 1970's. I remember always helping chef with the last project of the night, which was to put the prime ribs in the Alto-Shaam, set and turn on the ovens, so that we would have prime rib good to go for the next dinner service.

· Registered
280 Posts
Yes I looked at it online. They didn't have one of those anywhere I worked, back in the day!
That would be quite an investment for two nights of Prime rib. I guess if you have one can find multiple uses once up and running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts