Chef Forum banner

Question about cooking Pork Loin

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  spicyfood 
If you want a leaner cut you can opt for tenderloin instead. It’s thinner and it also cooks quicker. Kudos to you for taking it out at the right time and not overcooking it!

If you want a little extra flavor don’t mess around with the roasting, you perfected that. Instead add a sauce! Instead of searing it and chucking it in the oven sear it and then place on a different pan to cook in the oven. Then you are left with the pan you seared in with lots of good bits of porky flavor in which to build a sauce. Tell us what kind of sauce you’d like to make and we’ll give you a how to. In the meantime here’s my favorite.

In the dirty pan slice up an onion and a garlic clove along with fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, and/or sage. Gently cook in olive oil until soft. Deglaze the pan with a little white wine or vermouth. Add a cup of chicken stock, a spoonful of Dijon mustard and the juice of a lemon. Allow that to reduce by half then add a few tablespoons of heavy cream. Strain and serve with the pork.

I've tried making pan sauces before but since I'm in an apartment I don't want to pour alcohol in a pan and potentially start a fire. When I cook pork chops on a pan for example this may sound stupid but I hold the pan off the eye trying to cool it down so I can drip some water on there to avoid a massive amount of smoke, then I put some butter in and pour steak sauce in. Then I just use my spoon to keep everything together and get all the black and brown stuff off the pan. I just try to get the steak sauce a thicker, it's not a consistent thickness but I like it. I'll put salt and pepper in it until it tastes good, I just stick my spoon in it then use my finger to get a little off the spoon and taste it.

I know this isnt the right way to do it. I wish there was a way to deglaze properly without alcohol.
First, always be safe and keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen. Second, deglazing with alcohol is not so dangerous especially if using wine or vermouth. Turn off the gas stove or move the pan away from the heat as you pour in your alcohol.

But as stated above you can deglaze with water or stock too. You can eve deglaze with vegetables, some onions or mushrooms give off enough liquid to actually deglaze the pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.