Chef Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was looking for some input on refrigerating a fondant covered cake. The cake is perishable and must be refrigerated. It will be 3-layers (16, 12, 8 the bottom being a dummy) and all dark multiple colors of fondant.

Will the colors bleed or could there be any other problems doing this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Laurie

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Depending on the humidity, the fondant could become wet with condensation (of course, not on the dummy). A/C can help rid the air of moisture once you remove the cake from the fridge. It's not so much the refrigerator that makes moisture a problem, but the condensation that occurs afterwards.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
If you're putting the cake in a commercial walk-in cooler it's probably a good thing to overwrap the cake with plastic wrap, keeping tha wet air away from the fondant.
just a thought

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, however I have decided to offer making the whole cake a dummy and then a "kitchen cake" for her to serve. The details are just too intricate and the colors too bold; only if she changes to a non-perishable cake will I do this.

AGAIN, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.