So, remember when I made ribs here and then the time before that here?
Well, it looks like we've become a bit of a rib house in the last little while. I ran across this recipe for sticky Asian ribs in my newsfeed a while back from Apple of My Eye and I couldn't get them out of my head. They sounded so good!

I looked at her recipe and added my own twist. The best piece of advice that I got from her was to reduce the marinade to make a glaze/ sauce. Best. Idea. Ever. Especially since you can drizzle the sauce all over a bowl of hot brown rice. I'm not even exaggerating. If you've grown up eating rice like I have, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you've had a different childhood experience, this will still be a thing of beauty. Trust me.

tamari hoisin rib sauce

Now, I know this doesn't look like much in the photo, but give the recipe a try. You won't be sorry. It's a pretty rad marriage of Japanese and Chinese flavours and some traditional sticky barbeque goodness.

Sweet and Sticky Ribs

1 side of pork ribs

For The Marinade
1/4 cup tamari
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup mirin
3 tbs fish sauce
3 tbs rice vinegar
2 tbs dark soy sauce
2 tbs Chinese cooking wine
1 tbs roasted sesame oil
2 tsp garlic powder

For The Glaze/Sauce
Reserved marinade
1/4 cup agave
1/3 cup ketchup

In a small jar, mix together all the ingredients for the marinade.

In a ziploc bag, place the ribs and 1/3 to 1/2 the marinade (depending on how much meat you're using). Squeeze out any air in the bag and seal. Give the meat a massage and marinate overnight in the fridge, turning once to ensure even marination.

Remove the meat from the bag and seal in double layers of foil. Bake at 250 degrees for 2 hours. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. You can put them in the fridge at this point as a make ahead meal or proceed with the recipe if you plan to enjoy them on the same day.

Place the remaining marinade, agave, and ketchup in a small saucepan and allow to reduce until thickened. Leave to cool to room temperature. It will thicken further as it cools.

Cut the ribs into easy to handle pieces and place on a tray. Brush thickened sauce on both sides of each piece of meat. Place the ribs over medium low heat to caramelize. The length of time will depend on your grill and if your ribs are cold from the fridge or still warm.

Serve with some quick pickled cucumbers, hot rice, the leftover sauce, and a whole pile of napkins.

Quick Pickled Cucumbers

1 long English cucumber (or 5 small
Japanese cucumbers), peeled and sliced

For The Dressing
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup agave or honey
Juice of half a lemon
Pinch of kosher salt
Glug of sesame oil

In a glass bowl (not metal, it'll react with the acid in the dressing and make the cucumbers taste metallic) whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Fold in the cucumbers and allow to sit in the fridge for a hour or so.

Serve cold.