Chef Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Does any one know of a food grade rock salt , I could order on line ? I found the one above on amazon never used it, does not show the size of the crystals. If any one has tried it let me know , is it like a rock salt or a fine grade salt. Is it food safe ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do get the part of not eating it  . Just wanted know if it was OK to be in contact with food . I was going to use it for baking potatoes on a bed of it, or partially submerged . How are the crystals from that salt are they really coarse ?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I've tried the baking potato on a salt bed and it does turn out a drier, fluffier potato. Useful technique depending on one's need.
Years ago I worked at a high end prime rib & seafood restaurant where we used to slather our potatoes with butter and then rolled them in rock salt before baking. Definitely resulted in a drier and fluffier potato.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Rock Salt can be inedible. It also can be be food grade. It can be koshering salt. It can also be certified kosher. Depends upon manufacturer and process used to produce.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It was kosher salt.  I had done about 25 potatoes in huge pans on a grill actually and I thought it was interesting that the salt made kind of a hard shell on the underside of the potato from where moisture had been drawn out of the potato.  It came off easily before serving and with a little brushing.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
It was kosher salt. I had done about 25 potatoes in huge pans on a grill actually and I thought it was interesting that the salt made kind of a hard shell on the underside of the potato from where moisture had been drawn out of the potato. It came off easily before serving and with a little brushing.
Exactly !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.