Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*SIGH*

I used to hate reality shows. But for whatever reason, I find myself slightly hooked on Big Brother 2. It's much more interesting this time around. And I think Nicole, the personal chef, has a chance at winning. She should win just because she is a chef!! Yeah!!

~~Shimmer~~ :D :D :D :p

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
In all honesty I am scared of reality shows. Part of me wants to understand what is the appeal of it and to this day I don’t get it. Do I watch them? I’ve been known to zap here and there to see what it is about.

I try to keep an open mind and watch something at least one. But frankly I can not watch for too long. The attraction scares me. I find it creepy, seeing myself as a peeping tom. Is this the appeal of it? This feeling of intrusion into other people life? Is our own life that boring?

When I was a student, I wanted to my master on the confession show. Except in those day it was mostly radio show. People would call in, expose their problem and hope the voice on the other end will provide a solution. The school did not approve of the topic. Too bad. I always found it appealing, I need to understand what it is all about. Why it is hard to resist them.

This whole trend of reality show started with the confession show. Going on tv to launder your family’s dirty laundry. Why subject oneself to this kind of humiliation? To get forgiveness is humiliation necessary?

If you are a public figure and you get caught red handed doing something you shouldn’t. No problem a visit to Oprah and you will received absolution. Your sin will be forgiven. Is that the next step? A camera in a confessional. Direct confession. Recite three Ave Oprah and you will be forgiven.

Can the Hygrade mentra be applied to reality show? The more you show the more they will want to see. How far will it go? A show based on murder?? Another one where the love of a couple for each other is "tested" and should one managed to break a couple is seen as a hero. Is mental anguish that appealing?

Seeing people eat weird bugs or disgusting food is so common these days that it is loosing appeal. What will it be next year? Live execution? After Candid Camera will it be Vicious Camera?

I think I better get off the soap box for now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.