Chef Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i love salmon and i like to brake it down from the whole stage. my question is that is there any way to use the skin or carcus from the salmon? i know that stock wouldnt be good becasue salmon is a fatty fish. is there any other ideas?

·
Founder
4,582 Posts
The skin is the best part in my opinion. I like to leave the skin on, and then score the skin with a knife. AFter that I season and saute it in a pan. You can also grill it and serve it with your favorite sauce.

·
Registered
211 Posts
There's a Japanese method for grilling a fillet with the skin where the fillet is salted with coarse salt for about an hour. The fillet is then rinsed and dried. Immediately before grilling, brush with Japanese rice vinegar. Griil skin-side-down without turning. I sometimes panfry the fillet, skin-side-down in a little olive oil. Once again, the fish is not turned. The skin, and the meat, is very good.

·
Registered
211 Posts
issac:

I sprinkle the fish fillet pieces all over with lots of coarse salt and wrap them in plastic. After an hour I wash them in cold water and pat them dry with paper towels. The vinegar is also brushed all over, including the skin. The cooking is all done with the fish skin-side-down. You could cover the fish for part of the cooking to steam the top, but I cook the fish medium-rare and less it rest a few minutes to "cook" a little further. I buy my salmon from a Lagre Chinese supermarket that butchers a large amount of salmon each day, so it's always fresh. I use a lot of it raw for tartares de saumon, also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.