Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not short on recipes for this year's salt cod cravings. There was a new Portuguese cookbook at the library, Portuguese Homestyle Cooking, and it has lots of salt cod recipes. I made one yesterday and the dish itself was delicious; however, the salt cod itself was tough and dry. I noticed that before I put the pre-soaked salt cod in the pot, but I thought maybe it would soften up in this stew dish. No such luck. I ended up picking out all the salt cod pieces. Such a shame especially since I paid $10 for that salt cod and I broke my rule of avoiding cod.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas why my salt cod was so tough and dry?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pete. I always wondered what old salt cod would be like and now I know. It's a very good possibility since there isn't a huge market for salt cod where I live and the boxes I've seen there 6 months ago are probably the same boxes that are there now except for the ones I bought. I'll pay more attention to the Best Before date.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.