Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Chef Nosko is correct - you should always look for "dry" scallops instead of those sitting in a bowl of white liquid. This is a preservative that is added either buy the fishmonger or retailer to extend shelf life and it can be difficult to find scallops not in this liquid. If you're sauteing the scallops and want a nice crisp sear, don't crowd your pan with too many at once. They put off a lot of water.

·
Registered
154 Posts
84Rhonda,

I cook scallops very often, I love them. To keep them from getting soggy I use either a non-stick or stainless saute pan (I prefer the stainless) and add a little olive oil and a little butter. If you want to rinse them it's okay but do it quickly, don't let them soak in water, they're like little sponges. Pat them dry with paper towel. I sprinkle a little sea-salt and pepper and place, uncrowded in the hot pan. When you see the nice brown sear turn them over. You can tell when the scallop is cooked by pressing on it: if it feels soft and spongy it's not ready, but if it feels firm (not hard) it's done. I love them on a bed of greens with a reduced balsamic vinegar, toasted pine nuts and shaved parm-reggiano. :lips:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.