Chef Forum banner

Searching for a espresso machine!?

992 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnDB 
#1 ·
Hi
I would like to buy an espresso machine but I dont know which one. What should I even look for when buying an espresso machine? Can you give me some tips?

#2 ·
Assuming you are interested in a typical espresso machine and not pod-based. In my opinion, very first distinction to make is whether you're interested in an automatic, semi-automatic, or fully manual machine. Feel free do some googling if you don't know the difference.

Then continue to refine your goals.
  • What's the budget? Not just the machine, for everything
  • What tools do you have so far?
  • Do you want a built-in grinder? Do you have a grinder, and at the entry level, how much do you care for grind quality, would you invest in a burr grinder?
  • Steam wand in the machine? Would you need a separate milk steamer?
  • What rating of power outlets do you have? Different machines have different power draws.
  • Commercial or other high-yield machines often can, and sometimes must plumb water/waste (instead of filling a tank). Is that something you're willing to do?
  • Do you want the option of using pods in a regular machine? I think that's more dependent on the portafilter you can get different styles and basket sizes
  • What look, what era (if shopping older machines)? Metallic, boxy, rounded, slim, oversized, plastic casing, colorful etc. Imo aesthetics matter for daily use equipment!
  • What else will you have to invest in besides the machine, main tools, and grinder? Drinkware, trays, dedicated rags, cleaning solutions. Do you have good sources for fresh roasted coffee?
  • If buying a used machine, what repairs and services are you willing to get done? What tools is the seller including?

Getting the right used machine may be the way to go for your coffee setup to punch above your budget.

Craigslist (for me in a popular metro area) is exceptional for having a wide variety of machines on offer. Many are in need of servicing, are completely nonfunctional, or are priced poorly. On occasion you will get a gem, like someone offloading from an estate or storage, who has tested the machine but still wants to get rid of it cheap. I'd say to save a search to at least get a feel for what's moving at what price. Good deals like anything go quickly. People sell a lot of nespresso and keurig so I would exclude terms, set price and location, etc to filter the garbage.

Other apps, e.g offerup, are similar, maybe with a wider variety of selection but as many or more caveats.

I'd say to watch videos, read websites like seattlecoffeegear or wholelattelove to get more of a feel what's out there. More than anything talking to baristas or staff at quality coffee shops can teach you a lot.

I don't have the expertise to recommend specific brands and I think everyone is looking for something different. So I just wrote this up as starting pointers. Get what's correct for you and I think all the surrounding variables fall into place.

#3 ·
A la Marzocco is top of the line so long as it has two boilers and been decently refurbished.
A Mazzer coffee grinder/doser and you are off to the races.

It's always a bit of a thing between three or four group heads....four has bigger boilers and requires more juice but also takes up more counter space too. The three group head is usually a fan favorite but costs as much as the four.

The tamper is usually more crucial but puq presses are notoriously overpriced. You can get a great manual press which will provide consistent results if you do your homework.

The Aussies have been letting them go by the pallet lately....you might get a good deal on one this winter. Keep after the used ones....they ain't gonna use em.
A volumetric machine is somewhat of a waste....good old paddle or PB is just fine. Besides your barristas need to show off to earn their tips. Starbucks has gone to full automatic with their burnt tasteless coffee. They are glorified button pushers these days with no talent whatsoever.

Even the most untrained and inexperienced monkey cam make a better espresso than a Starbucks these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.