D had brought home a pack of side ribs (with breast bone in) from the store the other day. He loves ribs. He really does.

So while E and D were napping (something which I probably also should have been doing) I got to work. If you've seen my previous post on my sticky and saucy Barbeque Ribs, you'll know it takes a bit of time to get them fall-off-the-bone tender. But it's so worth it.

This time around, I thought I would try something different. There was a sticky honey bottle with a few dregs in the bottom that had been sitting on the counter for a while. I hadn't been able to decide what to do with it. I didn't want to just throw it out. Waste not! Then it hit me. The ribs! I threw some hot water into the honey bottle and added some light and dark soy sauces, sesame oil, garlic powder, and kosher salt. After shaking it up and tasting the marinade, I coated the ribs with about 3/4 of the mixture.

At this point, you could marinate them overnight (which I would've done, had I not been cooking on the fly) or just wrap the tray in foil and throw it in the oven.

After about 2 and a bit hours, the ribs are tender, while still maintaining their structure. I let them rest and cool for about 30 minutes before cutting them into smaller pieces for glazing.

The glaze was made with some dark (red) miso paste, mirin, the remainder of the marinade, sesame oil, and a bit of water. This is a fairly thin glaze. Once the glaze was stirred together, I cut the ribs and brushed them liberally with the miso glaze. Don't be shy. Make sure you cover all the sides of each piece. You won't regret the effort.

The last step is to sprinkle on some sesame seeds and place them on the top rack of your barbeque (away from direct heat) to caramelize. Actually, correction: the last step is really to try to scarf them down without irreparably burning the inside of your mouth...

sesame honey glazed ribs

Sesame Honey Ribs with Miso Glaze (All measurements are approximate, since I use the "eyeball method" in most of my cooking. Feel free to make adjustments to suit your own taste.)

1 side of pork ribs, with breast bone attached (or not, it's up to you). I prefer side ribs to back ribs because you get more meat, but you can use back ribs if you prefer.

The Marinade
3 tbs honey
1 tbs roasted sesame oil
2 tbs light soy sauce or tamari
1 tbs dark soy sauce
Kosher salt to taste

Mix it all up and coat the ribs, reserving one tablespoon or so for the glaze. Place the ribs in a large tray, cover with foil and bake at 250 degrees for 2 to 2 and a half hours. Alternatively, leave to marinate overnight before cooking.

For the Glaze
1 1/2 tbs miso paste
1 tsp hot water
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbs mirin
Reserved marinade
Sesame seeds

Brush cooked and cut ribs on all sides with the glaze. Sprinkle the tops of the ribs with sesame seeds. Place the ribs on the top rack of your grill, over medium-low heat, to caramelize the glaze. It will take about 15 or so minutes, depending on your grill. Patience is the key. You don't want to end up with a pile of charcoal briquettes after all the time you've invested already!

If it's raining on your parade, you could set your oven to 400 and put the glazed ribs in there to caramelize. Just keep an eye to avoid smoking up your kitchen.

Allow to rest for a few minutes (if you can wait) before serving. Serve with a light green salad or a colourful quinoa salad. Grilled corn would be a nice side as well.

Make Ahead Note: For entertaining, you could easily cook the ribs up to the glazing step a day or two before the party, then glaze and barbeque them on the day of. Just adjust the time on the grill accordingly, since the meat will cold.