Chef Forum banner

Shopping for xmas presents

7K views 57 replies 4 participants last post by  theophany 
#1 ·
Hey!
Tis the season to be recieving and giving.
This time its recieving for me.

Im looking for a few knifes. I am a home cook, but i think i want to get a little more serious about it. I have 2 nice sharpening stones a chosera 800 and 3000. I also have a piece of bassalt wood and some stropping compound. I currently have a kai wasabi chef knife and a vic paring knife. I have very soft plastic cutting boards. Not a whole lot of room in the kitchen for a butchers block board, but in the future hopefully at a new house there will be! I am not an expert sharpener yet, i am more of a beginner. I can get the knives about a 5 maybe a 6 out of 10 on a sharpness scale. Until i can get better im fine with sending them off to be sharpened. I usually use the knifes for cutting veggies, boneless meat, and fruit.

Im looking for a nice set of steak knives probably 4.
A chef knife
A utility knife
A pairing knife
A bread knife

I guess i could be convinced to get something else, maybe a slicer..but not sure if i NEED that right now.
All together i have around $600 to spend all together on everything.
Im not aure if im ready for the amount of work it takes to care for a carbon knife, but i could be convinced.

Thanks for all the help!

See less See more
#2 ·
The Kai Wasabi are probably the worst blades to start with. Very abrasion resistant due to huge carbides who hinder in getting a fine edge.

Sharpening is about raising a burr, chasing it, and getting rid of it. Don't try with a Wasabi. It's by far the easiest and most obvious with a simple carbon steel.

Get at least ONE basic carbon steel blade instead to learn. No set. In Europe I would suggest a simple Robert Herder or a K-Sabatier. From Americans I understand that Old Hickory offers the same kind of simple carbons.
A few Japanese have better steel, and sharpen almost as easily: Misono Swedish Carbon, Masahiro Virgin Carbon.
I think there is a sight where i can order a k sabatier. And im not planning on buying a set. Im looking ti get all of these seperately.

#6 ·
Besides recommending a sab, anything else? Should I just go for A paring, and chef's knife from there? You mentioned in your post that I should get ONE of them. Also, are all of the ones on that website carbon or just the ones that are labeled authentic carbon?

#7 · (Edited)
any brands that you recommend for the stainless 6" , and stainless for citrus, and when you say a carbon for learning do you mean to get an extra carbon to learn starting out? Also are the grinds on those knives that you linked really nice? Or will I have to set the grind myself?

Also what type of stainless steel should I be looking for. There are so many kinds, which are going to last a lifetime etc etc.

Also my budget is around $600

Also I just realized is it okay to sharpen a CS knife on a splashstone like the choseras?

You also mentioned that the Japanese versions have better steel what do you mean by that? And what kind of impact will that have on the knifes??

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
What I described, one carbon chef's, one stainless petty, a peeler, is a minimum. I wouldn't buy an expensive blade if your only learning sharpening. Better wait a bit and explore your preferences. K-Sabatier come with great grinding and poor final sharpening. Very common. Good for your sharpening.
Or have a Misono Swedish Carbon gyuto and ask Korin for an initial stone sharpening. So you get an example of a correctly sharpened edge which will make maintaining much easier.
A petty -- the 6" blade -- gets a lot of abuse, has a lot of board contact with a small contact area, will often been sharpened. No eternal life here.
Don't pay too much, it will replaced within a few years.
You may sharpen carbon steel with any stone. The Choseras are anyway amongst the best synthetic stones, and an excellent choice.
What do you mean by great grinding and poor final sharpening. Do you mean they are thin and in the right shape but the actual edge isn't sharp?
I also have been doing a lot of reading and a lot of people talk about how misono's reptutation is bad fit and finish. Will that impact me at all as a beginner sharpener?

#9 ·
I probably am, sorry!!
So here is what I'm considering atm.
Chef--9in sab from the website you linked. OR the 270mm misono from korin with an intial sharpening.
Petty-- I'm thinking the misono 440 150mm
Carbon Peeler--Thinking one of the Sab's because I haven't really found anything else besides that. What is the difference between the types of peelers/ paring knifes? Should I try both the straight and curved ones?
Citrus knife-- I have no clue for this one, but somehow I would like the handle to be different so that people know to use this one for citrus items.

Any recommendations for a santoku ? My wife enjoys using them, She would most definitely prefer a stainless steel. I would maintain it.

Also, I understand that this is all intro/beginning level. And will work for however long I choose. But what would you recommend for being like a end game knife? Also what would you recommend getting for being a more rugged/workhorse knife if I were to cook anything with bones and things along those lines, or cutting pineapple etc.

#10 · (Edited)
If the Misono is a bit middle of the road, what is a knife you could recommend that is solidly middle of the road, and possibly middle high as well to compare. What is the difference between 440 and ux-10, besides the price... Not sure if I can find the Robert Herder stuff here. Anything comparable for the US? Also, do you have any recommendations for steak knives? Or bread knives?

I found the Old Hickory line, they sell some stuff on amazon and various other websites. Do you think they are good knifes? Their paring knife is about $10. And Slicer is about $10 as well. Thoughts?

#11 ·
Robert Herder has a store on Amazon. for steak knives, find a set that matches your tableware or theme. you can find nice sets of old stuff on eBay. go serrated, the blades are going to be used on china or glassware which will destroy a regular edge.
Old Hickory are basic carbon steel blades made in New York. a bit softer than Japanese knives, they can be quickly made razor sharp. I have several in the kitchen that were passed down from wife's grandmother. I use them on occasion to break down large cuts of meat, like a 10 pound pork butt. I have used their cleaver as my main kitchen knife.
Case makes decent kitchen knives, same outfit that makes the pocket knives.
for a bread knife, get a basic serrated on that has the right amount of flex for you.
on all knives for your kitchen, find something that fits your hand well and has balance that works for you.
check here http://stores.ebay.com/ralph1396?_rdc=1

#12 ·
Going back, the problem with the sab is the full bolster, it's a pain as it had to be ground back to facilitate sharpening. Crazy that they still do that, this was originally just to facilitate 1800's die forging practices, then became a fashion, unfortunately.

Old Hickory's are made of fine steel, and I believe are significantly harder than the Misono carbon. But the edges are very thick, good for a butcher knife, not so great for a chefs, and will require more effort to sharpen.

Steel on the UX10 will have better edge retention, but be a little more effort to sharpen. The Misono carbon will be real easy to sharpen and touch up, certainly amongst the easiest to get real sharp.

There are quite a few knives in your price range, check out recent posts.

Ebay has a huge variety of inexpensive steak knives, just pick out something you like. There are some real fancy looking ones sporting big names and selling real cheap, just be aware these are going to be Chinese knockoffs.

#13 · (Edited)
What would you say to getting both the sab and the misono? I get that the carbon is much easier to sharpen and touch up than the UX10, but what is the difference between the ux10, the Moly, and the 440 Moly? Also do you have any cutting board recommendations? Are specific woods better than others? End grain vs side grain? Or the Hi-Soft one that you mentioned?

Also any recommendations for a petty that has a more traditional Japanese WA, That means with the more octagonal handle of wood correct? Just want to get a feel for one of those if possible, so I know for the future if I like them or not. So it would be 150mm, stainless steel based off what we already discussed.

#14 · (Edited)
For the first, why both? Maybe get the Masahiro carbon for lower cost, I'm surprised I didn't notice Benuser recommend it. Degrees of edge retention mainly on the stainless, highest, lowest, to middle as you present them.

Cutting board, I think it's a matter of kitchen decor to a good extent. The high soft is as good or maybe even better than premium end-grain (better than edge grain, but much more expensive for a good board that won't crack) type of board, easy to clean and maintain, but rather homely in comparison.

Avoid teak, acasia and especially bamboo as these have very abrasive properties. Stick to single-wood boards mostly, unless buying from top-makers like BoardSmith and Boos who match the woods properly. Oak, walnut, rock maple and cherry are the preferred woods, along with the Japanese Ho/Magnolia. If going edge-grain go for the softer woods, cherry and Ho, though the harder woods still make very good cutting surfaces compared to the hard plastics. And just about anybody can make a decent edge-grain board.

Neither myself, nor most home cooks I think, do all that much heavy chopping, so you really have to weigh the benefits of going end-grain, here it's the classy look in large part. That's enough that I would have gone for it, but it did not mesh with my SO's idea of decor, having a big block of wood sitting on her marble counter tops, just where most any home cook would want it. So I have a black plastic board that is thin and actually rather attractive, available at many department stores around here, and probably anywhere else in the States, I even saw the exact same pebble finish board in Europe, and on top of this I place a smaller wood board, edge grain cause it was free and like the plastic board already there when subject was being debated, being the original set up I had been using before upgrading knives, and both store very neatly atop the microwave, and maintenance is of course a breeze. There is a small high-soft board would fit nicely here, I was thinking of getting one to practice insane-chopping technique on.

BTW, just about any Japanese knife can do this with a decent sharpening, and you'll be able to get a carbon that slick before long.

#15 ·
I'm honestly not sure, just to try different kinds i suppose. My issue isn't cost. I'm not worried about that at all. I think my reasoning behind it is that I want 1 more entry~medium knife (steel wise) and one more Medium~high end (steel wise). The beginner one to hone my technique for a while and then the high end one for a few months from know when I have an idea of what I am doing. Because I know, by that time I will be thinking of upgrading but not wanting to spend the money, where as right now there are people who love me who want to spend the money. Does that make sense?

Any advice on a wa handled knife to try out for the petty?

#22 · (Edited)
Excellent stone. Hard, fast, offering a great tactile feedback. Very versatile: depending on pressure, mud, water you may get a variety of results.
Have an Atoma 140 for lapping, from day 1.
So i should also get an Atoma 140? And what is lapping. Glad to hear I made a good purchase with the two Choseras. Any advice about getting something to place them on for a sink or something similar?

Is there a better set of stones for mastering the craft that I should look into? If the choseras are going to give me mixed results based on all of those things, it sounds like they are not good for beginning stones. I hear a lot about Arkansas stones, thoughts on those/what are they?

#23 ·
Arkansas stones are natural quarried stone. for a beginner stone, an 8" Norton Coarse Crystolon/Fine India is a good start. When you have mastered the India to where you can push cut newsprint, then look to finer stones. find an Old Hickory or Forgecraft high carbon to practice on. a coarse crystolon and a Atoma 140 are about the same grit. a fine india is about the same as a 400 grit Japanese water stone.
there are 5 different ways grit is measured, JIS the Japanese system which most water stones follow, CAMI which is American and is also used for sandpaper, FEPA which is European and is shown as P### on some sandpaper. finally there is MICRON which is the actual size of the abrasive grains. as an example of how confusing this can get, CAMI 180 and FEPA P180 are the same grit, but FEPA P1200, JIS 800 and CAMI 600 are the same grit.

#24 ·
Arkansas stones are natural quarried stone. for a beginner stone, an 8" Norton Coarse Crystolon/Fine India is a good start. When you have mastered the India to where you can push cut newsprint, then look to finer stones. find an Old Hickory or Forgecraft high carbon to practice on. a coarse crystolon and a Atoma 140 are about the same grit. a fine india is about the same as a 400 grit Japanese water stone.
there are 5 different ways grit is measured, JIS the Japanese system which most water stones follow, CAMI which is American and is also used for sandpaper, FEPA which is European and is shown as P### on some sandpaper. finally there is MICRON which is the actual size of the abrasive grains. as an example of how confusing this can get, CAMI 180 and FEPA P180 are the same grit, but FEPA P1200, JIS 800 and CAMI 600 are the same grit.
Yeah that is super confusing. So with sharpening, i struggle to grt the kai wasabi to push cut sharp for the life of me, it feels like i would have to just spend forever sharpening it to get it sharp enough. But that being said i can get a vic paring knife and a zyliss paring knife push cut sharp. They can both cut through a rolled up news paper like 15 layers thick. Just takes mire force an just the blades heft. Probably a few pounds if force to get through that.

#25 ·
I got that from using the chosera 800, thrn the 3000, then stropping on the basslat board really softly a few times.
So it eoulf be a good idea to get the atoma 140, what would i use it for grinding new angles on the knife and such?? Would i need to get something in between the chosera 800 and the atoma 140?

#26 ·
You won't be needing the Atoma 140 to thin for quite a long, long while. Not unless you buy something like an old hickory and want to bring it to Japanese standards.

Whe using the 140 you have to be very careful not to hit the edge, because you'll put in deep scratches that will be difficult to get out, and generally make a mess of your edge. You'll need 300-400 stone to remove the scratches.

Your 800 and 4K are all the sharpening stones you need for the moment. that green paste I believe is chrome-oxide (CrO2) meant for very very fine polishing, it won't do anything for a 3K finish, and has no place for general kitchen knife use. Get a Kitayama 8k if you want to fool around with higher finish. You want finer than that then add 3 and 1 micron diamond slurry for your strop. 1 micron diamond is really the practical limit here. If you manage to do it right with the higher grits be especially careful to keep fingers away from the edge, it will cut to the bone before you now what happened.

#27 ·
Awesome, so wait on the 140. I kinda wanna do a finer polish on the knives. So get the Kitayama, sandpaper off the green stuff that is on there and get the diamond paste from cktg. Put one on each side of the knife to get as sharp as i can. So when i do touch-ups every week or so i should touch it up on the strop right?

Is the Kitayama a splash n go like the Chosera's? Or would I need to soak it.

Any advice on cleaning off the green chrome oxide??

Ohhh Okay, so the atoma for leveling off the stone. Is that what you meant by lapping? I have just been using the little thing that came in the boxes of the choseras. Yeah I think it would be a wise decision to hold off on thinning and other advanced techniques for the moment. Maybe in a year or so haha.

#29 ·
Pretty much what Benuser said about high-polish. I use high polish for all knives, just because I like to, but the razor edge will only hold if there is no board contact, like slicing where only the tip touches the board, or cutting in-hand, which is really a learning curve, with lots of bandaids and/or tape involved. Stropping with 3 micron diamond will restore an edge, also great for putting on you micro-bevel. Diamond scratches deep, so even 3 micron will have some little bit of tooth to it.

#32 · (Edited)
Okay To recap, hopefully for the last time hahah.
TO BUY:
Sharpening- Atoma 140 for flattening out my current stones. & 3 micron slurry.
Chef Knife- 10 inch K SAB, 240mm Misuno
Petty- I think I'm gonna go with one from JCI probably a Gesshin Uraku 150mm Stainless wa
Paring- 4in Old Hickory.
Cutting board- Hi-soft
Steak Knife- Something from ebay or something like that

Already Have:
800 Chosera, 3000 Chosera, & Basalt wood block
Vic Paring knife
Kai Wasabi (by the way what should I do to try to sharpen this thing? Like I said I can get the vic to really sharp but this one just isn't even close)

Anything else that I am forgetting? And also anything that would be nice, but not needed at the moment for the future? Should I get any oil of some kind for the carbon knives if I am not going on vacation or something like that?

Sorry I Know it has been a lot of talking back and forth the last few days.

#33 ·
Okay To recap, hopefully for the last time hahah.

Kai Wasabi (by the way what should I do to try to sharpen this thing? Like I said I can get the vic to really sharp but this one just isn't even close)
spend the $30 and get a norton coarse/fine stone. get a sharpie to mark the edge. start over with the sharpening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.