Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
643 Posts
my trick is to sub chopped bread and butter pickles instead of green pepper. I grind a 50/50 brisket sirloin mix. I also use BBQ sauce in addition to ketchup. I like it spicy too, so I lean heavy on hot sauce. Tots are popular side right now but I stick to fries or hand cut chips

2.5lb ground beef mix
1 large sweet onion
1/3 cup chopped bread and butter pickle
2 celery stalks fine chop
1 can diced tomato
12oz beer. (I use IPA)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tblspn BBQ sauce
1 tblspn tabasco
1 tblspn yellow mustard
1 tspn wocestershire
1 tspn chili powder
S & P to taste

I sweat veg, brown meat, add beer, add sauce and spice, simmer all day until meat paste forms. Serve on fresh brioche buns. With dill pickle and chips

· Registered
643 Posts
@Mike9
that looks like the perfect recipe. Lee Drumond uses a little chili powder too while Tyler Florence adds a touch of vinegar.

@Planethoff
I like the idea of adding a little celery too! I'll save the pickles for the side because I'm a huge lover of green pepper.
I love green pepper too and it is a staple and great in sloppy Joe's . I just switched to the b&b pickle for sweet crunch, but you can also cook with green pepper and top with b&b pickle chips on finished product. Both ways are great

I do have to question Mike9's video. I don't agree with cold pan start. But to each their own I guess

· Registered
643 Posts
@Planethoff
- I've done it both ways and find the cold pan start produces a meat with more crumble that's a little more tender IMO.
I totally get that and see the benefit. I am still able to achieve that texture by cooking it literally all day. I make it somewhat like I make my chili. I like the flavor from the super hot sear, but if were doing it in a shorter time period I would do a cold pan start.

· Registered
643 Posts
Simple version from my childhood

2 pounds ground beef
1 medium chopped onion
1 can condensed tomato soup(Campbell's!)
sugar to taste
Black pepper to taste, I use a LOT

Brown the beef with the onion and pepper(salt is optional but the soup adds a LOT of it)
When the onion is tender add the tomato soup and stir it in, let it simmer 20 minutes, add sugar to taste, simmer a bit more

Serve on a cheap fluffy white bun with hamburger dill slices.
I always admire your great tasting, tried and true, no nonsense recipes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.