Chef Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just want to make a small batch of goat curry for two people, requiring a 3 qt capacity cooker. the advantages of each area as follows:

Slow cooker, set it and forget it for hours when placed on low. Once cooked, set on warm and forget it. No ability to sear therefore sear would be conducted separately in a cast iron fry pan. Hamilton Beach brand without computer control. Simple.

Enamel Dutch Oven, ability to sear. Temperature control iffy perhaps.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I feel your pain. I’ve had that kind of indecision lately too. I generally opt for a standard pot. Temp control isn’t difficult but requires monitoring. Stove-top cooking [with a standard pot] more so than if cooking in oven. But the “set and forget” [of the slow cooker] is very convenient!

I’m making pinto bean to go with a Mexican dinner. Look at my decision… since I need to run a few errands…

Kitchen appliance Ingredient Fluid Recipe Cookware and bakeware

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
......... I generally opt for a standard pot. Temp control isn’t difficult but requires monitoring. Stove-top cooking more so than if cooking in oven. But the “set and forget” is very convenient!..................
I'm sorry but allow me to clarify for myself:

Standard pot = slow cooker????
Stove-top = D.O..

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ah… I now understand the confusion… I failed to type all of the words that were in my brain. I edited the post for, hopefully, clarity. Sorry about that.
Those are mostly sauce pans. Pots = stock pots imho.
I ended up purchasing a Hamilton Beach 3 qt cooker without the computer control. Its analog dial suits me just fine. Along with slow cooker I purchased some cooking bags and an H.B. 10-cup food processor. So I should be good to go with pureeing garlic, ginger and red onions for the dish. G O A T C U R R Y. And now for a magic carpet ride.

My other cooker is a Mauviel Hand Hammered 6 QT Stew Pan that I purchased for $700 a few years ago. Geeze Loueeze look here for a deal at less than $600. [email protected]

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope I'm not distracting too much from the OP, but I'm curious what you find finicky about caring for enamel? I have a few enamelled dutch ovens and don't find them overly hard to maintain. I've been thinking about adding a few more. What has your experience been like?
Imho enamel looks nice especially when blended with CI. I'm thinking finicky when combined with temperature control. Temp control with a slow cooker may be more easily achieved.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As stated, I'm going with slow cooker + CI for searing. It seems that the enamelware will discolor with use, especially the interior. And then there's chipping to consider.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts