Chef Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you surely know about Heston Blumenthal's (in)famous method for roasting a chicken, which he does at something 225F for 4 hours -- I forget the exact details off the top of my head. At the last minute he brushes it with clarified butter and puts it in a convection oven on maximum, just to brown and crisp the skin slightly.

The method works because the meat never contracts, so all the original juice stays inside the meat. You do need to decide on a target temperature, which is largely a matter of what kind of texture and color you like, since as long as you hit about 140F it's going so slowly that you'll pasteurize the meat regardless.

Anyway, I'd really like to do this with turkey, preferably turkey legs. That is, I want to roast them super-slow until just done, then sear or blast-furnace them to crisp. Or a whole spatchcocked turkey.

But the question is: HOW LONG? I mean, how do I estimate even vaguely how long this process is going to take? Any thoughts from you guys who have professional training?

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Never thought of doing a turkey like that.
I would look at Heston's recipe, check the weight of the chicken vs your turkey and use that as a base. A turkey leg, or spatchcocked turkey are going to be much quicker than a whole one.
Keep an instant read thermometer ready.
Note: we only have turkeys available around christmas if the shops have remembered to get an import permit (there's a ban on imported poultry). They are normally around 4 kg. I don't now their size in the US of A, so won't hazard a guess ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts