Chef Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if in right section so mods do feel free to move should you wish!

Might be taking the lease on a small restaurant premises very soon!
It was last trading as a burger place so though it best I start the menu off on that. But having never worked in a pastry section before my ideas are blank!

Anyone with a few simple Dessert recipes that will go down well after a burger and fires?

Thanks

· Registered
333 Posts
cheesecake, choc cake, pie , keep it simple, buy everything possible precut.
The last thing I'd want is to be in the weeds and someone orders a convoluted dessert.

if its lunch, i had a lunch cafe and can't recall selling any desserts at lunch, I'm a pastry chef but I bought most of the pastry at restaurant depot ( we did a lot of catering).
At lunch they just want to eat and scoot , at dinner they tend more to dine.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shakes, malts, ice cream cones, floats, sundaes
upscale them like a strawberry shortcake shake
Sorry you lost me there. so I go though then one by one

Shakes; Do you mean milk shakes?

malts; appart from beer brewing malt grain what ells is it?

Ice creams; do you think I should look at homemade ice creams, investing in all the equipment; or keep it simple at first with crappy supermarket ice cream?

What is a float?

sundaes; sundaes ice creams; A great idea for an upgrade on plain ice creams (see above) though!

upscale them like a strawberry shortcake shake; The google search provides two comply different recipes for this! please can you clarify?

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheesecake, choc cake, pie , keep it simple, buy everything possible precut.
Yes I can see that looks fairly simple, cheese cakes fairly simple to make and chock chip cakes just baking off flour and egg. and an apple pie very very simple

The last thing I'd want is to be in the weeds and someone orders a convoluted dessert.
Agreed! maybe forget about home made ice cream and things like souffle and stuff

At lunch they just want to eat and scoot , at dinner they tend more to dine.
Interesting! The alcohol licence (which includes the trading hours) is 12 noon til 9/ 10.30 pm So I guess there will be a bit of bough

if its lunch, i had a lunch cafe and can't recall selling any desserts at lunch,
Dose this include kids as well?

· Registered
333 Posts
Yes I can see that looks fairly simple, cheese cakes fairly simple to make and chock chip cakes just baking off flour and egg. and an apple pie very very simple

Agreed! maybe forget about home made ice cream and things like souffle and stuff

Interesting! The alcohol licence (which includes the trading hours) is 12 noon til 9/ 10.30 pm So I guess there will be a bit of bough

Dose this include kids as well?
industrial area next to a train station , never saw kids.

· Registered
5,090 Posts
Shakes; Do you mean milk shakes?

malts; appart from beer brewing malt grain what ells is it?

Ice creams; do you think I should look at homemade ice creams, investing in all the equipment; or keep it simple at first with crappy supermarket ice cream?

What is a float?

sundaes; sundaes ice creams; A great idea for an upgrade on plain ice creams (see above) though!

upscale them like a strawberry shortcake shake; The google search provides two comply different recipes for this! please can you clarify?
yes

malted milkshake

if you view something as crappy, why use it

chilled beverage of ice cream in soft drink; example: root beer float

(see above) though!

was thinking more along the lines of the second link

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chilled beverage of ice cream in soft drink; example: root beer float
Hah! after googleing it all. I have just worked out what root beer is now, its the bottles of unfermented guinness that they sell in the Asian cash and carry down the road

All it is, is a dark bitter with the hops to give it the bitterness and the unfermented sugar to give it the sweetness.

Question; could I make my own root beer out of a can/ tin of home brew liquid malt extracts?

· Registered
333 Posts
Hah! after googleing it all. I have just worked out what root beer is now, its the bottles of unfermented guinness that they sell in the Asian cash and carry down the road

All it is, is a dark bitter with the hops to give it the bitterness and the unfermented sugar to give it the sweetness.

Question; could I make my own root beer out of a can/ tin of home brew liquid malt extracts?
You can buy ingredients in a root or winemaking store, we bought dandy lion and burdock roots to make our own and it tasted a lot better than American root beer. The wintergreen ruins it.

· Registered
4,509 Posts
Are you looking for ideas of desserts that would exist at an American burger place to maintain a theme, or ideas that might better suit the British palate? What are your local future competition putting on their menus? That might be a good start to ensure selling what locals are buying and add a few unique items of your own. Do you have any local suppliers that you can team with and who can produce desserts for you or are you intent on making them all yourself? Traditional desserts or more "upscaled" desserts or a mix? Is your establishment a sit-down or takeaway? Answers to these kind of questions might help refine the question and the answers.

Take a look at the SWEETS section of this menu and see what desserts a British chef is successfully selling to Americans at his British burger restaurant. Upscaled British.

But another point is that many other burger-oriented restaurants in the US, really have a very limited dessert offering.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can buy ingredients in a root or winemaking store, we bought dandy lion and burdock roots to make our own and it tasted a lot better than American root beer. The wintergreen ruins it.
You can buy dandy lion and burdock in the 2 litre bottles so cheep on the market or super markert (supermarket brand though) that I guess you could you make your root beer flout from it (unless it is missing something!)

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you looking for ideas of desserts that would exist at an American burger place to maintain a theme, or ideas that might better suit the British palate? What are your local future competition putting on their menus? That might be a good start to ensure selling what locals are buying and add a few unique items of your own. Do you have any local suppliers that you can team with and who can produce desserts for you or are you intent on making them all yourself? Traditional desserts or more "upscaled" desserts or a mix? Is your establishment a sit-down or takeaway? Answers to these kind of questions might help refine the question and the answers.
Just stuff that will sell.

To be honest the price and quality IMHO of ready made stuff dose not come upto making it your self from raw egg and flour est. So will be looking at making all myself

But it was last trading as eat in and takeaway; persentage wise I dont know as last lot up and went

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
true, i'd buy everything I could and keep it simple.
To me it would depend on the price and quality

So would I buy those fancy so called root beers out of the Asian cash and carry labeled up in "Guinness" in 330ml bottles at 99p each; or a pack of 6 for a fiver; or a box of 24 for so and so? Or would I just buy a cheep 2 litre bottle of dandy lion and burdock out of ASDA for 20p?

Think I would go with the ASDA 2 liter bottles of cola and add my own lemon and lime to it, rather then buy a coka cola;)

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
My preference is fizzy.
Then the only problem we have hear is that when we open a bottle and dont use it all, then the rest will go flat. I mean we have 2 litre and 330ml bottle on offer hear and I cant see you using a full 330ml bottle. unless there is a way to stop it going flat or to regas it

Edit; what kind of ice cream to you use for this mix
I'm thinking for dandy lion and burdock contrast a butterscotch/ toffee and fudge ice cream, something with a slight spice like ginger. What do you think

Dose not look like dandelion and burdock is that cheep after all

So much for the 20p 2 liter bottle of cola. When you consider that all it is is a flower and a Thistle

But I did not know they where making alcoholic drinks from it! Recipe of making it from burdock roots and dandelion roots hear

I see they use added sugar. So I wonder if the roots contain any sugar or not? as if not its not a natural brew (same as people that make hooch)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts