Chef Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wet stone and my executive chef keeps telling me to use soap on it because it causes the blade to stick better.

i just wanted to know if anyone has any info on this topic?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no its not an oil stone.  do you think the soap would have any affect on the stone? i just dont want it ruined.d

· Registered
4,560 Posts
I got oil stones and leather strops with green stuff and ain't ever heard of that stuff before.  Hell, it waxy and why t. f. not???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its more for the friction between the blade and stone.  you would still apply the same pressure you normally would its just to get a sharpe blade as per my chef

· Registered
1,060 Posts
I think it's dubious. There's nothing about soap that will shape the edge qualities. As you said, it's about friction between blade and stone. I'd only ever heard of soapy water (don't know if you meant this and not straight liquid soap) on oilstones, but this is the first I've heard of that for waterstones. Most all (I suppose I can't say 100%) users continue to use water and get excellent results. I would think the thicker your liquid media, the less quick your results, as friction is more dampened.

· Registered
3,364 Posts
The stone slurry you build that really does the cutting.  Many people wash that away as they sharpen shortening the lives of their stones.  That's what a nagura is for - to build the slurry before sharpening.  Soap is usually used as a lubricant, but with Japanese water stones water is the lubricant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.