Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Wendy~you are talking about alot of work...coming in and photographing pre conference, working up recipes, drawing revised desserts, then teaching for a 4hour-day shift.....$150-250 for this...think of an hourly rate and then start adding up your costs and hours...Think of the benefits to the restaurant and sell that aspect. I think your going in low....fyi I get $150-175 for a class that someone else sells and markets, pays for the product, has an assitant to help me, prints recipes all for 21/2-3 hour class.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
The Fancy Food show is at the McCormick Center in the late Spring....I go to the pre conf. classes....this seems like a good one for that venue, alot of local and regional people come to it.
So then the questions are how to you give a talk and not give away what your trying to sell....
Michael Roman has a variety of talks....he uses overheads and sells his catering book, consulting services and newsletter.
It's good to have a couple of talks "in the can" before getting on the circuit.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
It's add ons or additional ongoing services I was talking about.
Your base of income to suppliment consulting.

Think of drive time....Chicago is a BIG place, I'd figure that you may be going to one restaurant per day...(maybe more, but think one) how long would an average drive take....that is your time and what people are paying for.

I'd get info on mass produced goods so you have an idea of what's out there already.....what flavors are available....there could be a possibility in being a rep for different shops, taking a percentage or commission on what commercial products you sell...

From my experience dealing with alot of different restaurants it will be next to impossible to have them photograph and send you pics of their desserts.

How much does it cost to develop recipes....ingrediants, time, equipment, expertise!!! all those are costs to you....

***As with any business there will be copycats.....Chicago is a huge place...clarify your services, believe in them and sell yourself...that is what people are buying.....it took me a few years to get clear who I wanted for a client...it was not everyone who knocked on my door.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.