Chef Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Founder
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today on the way into work I was listening to the radio and that mentioned that Reuters is refusing to use the word Terrorist in an effort to be politically correct, siting that "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter". GIVE ME A BREAK.

Sorry to spot of like this, but anyone who cannot see that the people who committed the acts that occurred on 9/11 are not terrorists then you are crazy. I really think people need to lighten up on this politically correct stuff it really is getting to be too much.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Now that's definitely taking political correctness to an extreme. How is Bin Laden a freedom fighter? Whose freedom is he fighting for? And what freedom fighter tries to take away other people's freedom? That's definitely what the terrorist acts of Sept 11 and the anthrax scare have done to Americans. I've tried very hard not to let the recent events change the way I live, but it's hard to avoid. I don't watch the news or listen to the radio as often anymore because I don't want to be more scared. I'm flying overseas next week and I've never been frightened to fly, but I do have butterflies this time. I have friends and co-workers who seem to be on the edge of a nervous breakdown because of their very high anxiety levels. They tend to stay home more now and only leave their homes to go reluctantly to work. One friend who works in NYC refuses to take the subway now because he's worried that someone will release anthrax. He's even considering quitting his job so that he doesn't have to commute.

I did listen to the radio while working yesterday: NPR World News. A male student in Pakistan was being interviewed. Chills went down my spine listening to him. He was convinced that Sept. 11 and all the events after were concocted by Israel to rid the world of Muslims. He even went on to say that if he had the money, he would bomb America for its crimes against Islam. Now there's a potential terrorist -- freedom fighter my ***!

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
You've all heard of that dirtbag named Ira Einhorn who murdered his girlfriend 20 years ago and fled to France. Is he a hippie and politically correct or just plain selfish? :confused:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Bin Laden is said to be worth billions if not millions.
If he had a human heart and was a freedom fighter he would have taken his money and family influence and built his country up, given the inhabitants food and education, built houses of worship and worked to change the politial climate for the bettermet of Islam. Is troops would be working with the children and infrastructure of the country in praise of Allah and bringing health and religious strenght to his country. Working within the constructs of the world stage to gain understanding for his people he could have been a really good thing.
Well, he did not, has not and who knows, will not and he does not deserve to be labled as anything but Filth, Low and Disgusting.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Always hate political correctness specially in French where noum have a gender and people now want to use both gender in any text. Imagine reading phrases like: the chefe and chef and the directore and director....

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Very good point Isa! Food for thought...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
'Scuse me, KyleW, for being politically incorrect. Both Osama and Ira should be bedmates.:bounce:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hey , instead of bedmates they should be cell mates in a prison totaly run by women and what will happen behind bars will happen .

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is my understanding that the reason Reuters and some of the other News Services have stopped using the word "terrorist" not because of political correctness but because they have corrispondents all over the world and using the "t" word may put them in jepordy in some countries.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
That was also my understanding. I don't think anyone is denying (including AL Qeda) that this was an act of terrorism. However, journalists are going through a dangerous period indeed. One of my friends at NBC is on antibiotics after the anthrax scare. These people, especially the foreign correspondents, put their lives at risk every day...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I've never been politicly correct (more politicaly ignorant than anything) so here's my policticly incorrect take:

I'm trying to learn what I can threw the media about Bin Laden....and I saw a show that did say Bin Laden DOES puts his money into the people of the region. That's why they love him (there has to be SOME reason don't you think?). Common on, there has to be some substance to tie the people to him...

They said there are tons of orpans in the region and Bin Laden is the main financial support for them. He has hundreds of children who would be on the streets with out him. Plus he sponsers the many places of worship, which happen to be the only place children can obtain education. He's all they have and therefore he's bought their /knowledge/experience which tells them to hate us. To thousands of people he isn't a terrorist, he's pushing their political agenda.

I do think Bin Ladens got a plan, 'divide and conquer'. His message seems crazy to most people but to some its right. I think we SHOULD accept all peoples opinions. Not adopt, not honor BUT let people have a voice. The majority will choose the way. Isn't that how we work, isn't that what WE want for ourselfs? Give it back and then we can have some comunication which is better than oppressing people which leads to unrest. Let everyone have their own views and lets live in peace doing so...(reminds me of John Lenon) but he was right. Imagine if there was no religion?

AS a JEW. Quite frankly I've seen very little in my life on American t.v about the conflicts with the middle east that doesn't lean strongly in flavor of Isreal. Can you disagree? Honestly? I never learned why we support Isreal side always? Why Isreal is alway correct? Did any of you grow-up with a balanced view here in the States? Just day after day they cover the conflict and tell us whats happening in Isreal. If it was unbaised maybe I would side with the jewish view as the 'only view' but they never showed us any other info.

As I get older I've also began to notice how the media in general isn't perfect. Isn't as unbaised as it claims. It pushes it's agenda first, to 'scare us', 'educate us','teach us' etc....but their bottom line is getting the numbers watching them, cause that brings in dollars to maintain there jobs.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
WDeBord:
During my Silly Clone Valley days I got alot of guff from the techies due to my having visited Algeria. I mentioned that during my visit I felt safer on the streets of Algiers (this was in the mid 70's) than I ever did in L.A. and San Jose. That's because arabs deal with criminals more harshly. America could do the same.

Little does this country know how much of its cuisine, astronomy, chemistry and math derive from the early arab culture. Algebra, an arabic word, means "the reduction"; alfalfa means "the father" and alcohol means... (I can't remember). All of those words...arabic.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR EQUANIMITY!!!

:) :) :) :) :bounce: :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Anyway I'm kind of trying to say is...

Who isn't a terrorist? For each view, theirs an opposite view?

We are terrorists, they are terrorists. Lets call each other names and see how things progress....they'll get no where. We will for-ever because we will not agree. Which leaves all of our children growing up in a world full of hate and wars.

Put aside labels, think about the other guys views alittle.

Allow people to express their view, with-in reasonable boundries so they don't inflict their will on others who agree.

Call me names, call me a JEW, call me anything. So long as it doesn't inflict harm onto me I will turn my check, because my will for survival is strong enough to live next to you who hates me with out throwing stones back.

I'll listen until I go deaf to your point of view. I'll honor all people that are around me. As I ask you to listen too and honor me also.

Who cares which words we use, so long as we have a dialog?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
A terrorist does NOT want to have a dialogue with you. He just wants to erradicate you. War and terrorism are not the same thing. There is a difference, irrespective of what side you are on.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Anneke,

You are absolutly on the money.
I am also a Jew,and feel very strongly about the USA position with israel.

Israel has been attacked so many times over the ages
Israel is surrounded by people who want the land and want them dead.

This is not about dialogue,It's about securing a life for our children free of "TERROREST "

just because there are two sides to a story dosen't mean that the two sides are terrorest,How can we even us that word so freely in conjunction with dialogue.

Osama bin Laden is a Terrorest!!!!
He wants to scare ,kill and humiliate people.
cc

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Good points Anneke, but perhaps I still don't follow.

I don't understand how war and terrorism are really any different in their goals. Why doesn't which word you use depend on where your standing when the action of either is to inflict death on the other side? Does the opposition in war want a dialogue with you or your surrender? Then terrorists just want everyone but themselfs dead? Or do they want to force their agenda?

Forget whos right and whos wrong, for a moment. I don't see how when both parties who are killing each others citizens (regardless of the method because method is linked to money) you can say one side is right and one side is wrong with a blanket sentence. It depends upon which side your on. It's been an eye for an eye for too long in the middle east! Heck who even remembers who threw the first stone anymore? It's time for PEACE!

Now I can agree that what happened in NY was unprevoked terrorism without any question! They thew the first stone. Yes I agree with our defence and retaliation, AND that it is necessary! But our hands aren't so perfectly clean as to never have particapated in conflict and never have prevoked some hatred.

But fighting will never ever stop unless we can dialog with terrorists/enemies whatever you word you wish to use. If you don't believe you can talk then we have no hope, just endless distruction. Then what? Just kill everyone until theres only 'civilized' nations left? Then aren't we forcing our will on others?

Sorry I don't mean to be dumb, I guess I just don't get it (seriously)

I looked up the word terrorism in the dictonary.
It says, 'the systematic use of terror esp. as a means of coercion'. Coercion says, ' repress. compel. enforce'.
Terror means, 'a state of intense fear. one that inspires fear'.

So we aren't using terrorism, we're using coercion while in war.
But after all don't the words depend upon which side your on in a literal sense? Either that or whos memory is the best as to who cast the first stone.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
When someone walks into a Israely discotec wrapped in bombs and blows himself up and kills 22 innocent Isrealy teenagers what are the mothers,fathers and goverment suppose to do?

As for war...Yes we are at war,But not with Islam.We are at war with the cowards who kill in the name of god.

Unfortunatly in war innocent people will die,But it is not our intention to kill them...like it was the intention of the terrorest to kill as many men,women and children with one blow as they possible could.
I know the USA does not always have clean hands,and we have done some pretty stupid stuff.

When the USA has gone to war it has been provoked and we react. I am not a man of violence,and I do believe in Peace and trying to find diplomatic ways to peace BuT I am heartened to say that unless the people in the middle east that train,fund and house these legiones of terror are not braught to justice then there will never be peace in this world.
cc

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.