Chef Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a beginner cook and make a vegetarian minestrone soup in a crockpot-beans, diced tomatoes, kale, carrots, onions, spices and I put water on the top I have been using canned kidney beans which I don't love, but want to continue to use them- just read you can puree them. How do I do this? If I put the beans in a blender is the liquid in the can enough or will I need water?  Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,707 Posts
You need some liquid to poor the beans. You should use some of the broth so the flavor doesnt shift too much. It will thicken up the soup a lot as well.

I'm not a fan of kidney beans either compared to other beans. Use a small red bean or other smaller bean and I think the texture is better.

Maybe switch to a dry lentil? It will be cheaper and cook in the crock pot just fine. You may find the texture better too.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I like kidney beans, but I find there to be a big texture difference between the canned and dried.
I way prefer them when starting from scratch.
Maybe try them that way and see if you like them better?
You can actually do a big batch and then freeze in portions.

Otherwise, maybe go a total different route and go for chickpeas or black eyed peas?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I'm not a fan of kidney beans either.  When using canned I like small white, red, pink or black beans.  For dry I prefer Pinto beans and they cream up nicely too.  Lentils are good as well and as mentioned will cook in the soup just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.