Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight we're having take out, and I ordered some pretty spicy things...going to try a Muller-Thurgau (Sokol Blosser, 1999, Yamhill County, Oregon) that I seem to remember the person at the winery saying this would be a good match with Thai.

We bought a lot of wine that weekend <g>...and I hope my memory serves me right! Anyone fond of this variety/know if this is a good match?

:)

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Deb,

I think you have a winner.When people ask me about what to drink with spicy food I usally tell them Beer.The only exception to that is a wine that has a far amount of residual sugar. The lower alcahol content and the balanced acidity will work well with spicy foods. They kind of fight for attention,then they just mingle together to develope a happy medium.It is important to have a nice kick of acid in the wine to help cut through the depth of spice. sweetness on it's own will not do. Funny though is the fact that Beer which we assume is dry in fact is not.
There is fruit,caremel,spice and sweetness with beer and the mouth feel of the bubbles also helps in the dance.
I hope this makes sence!! It's been a lond day :)
cc

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
I think that you have a good match there. If I am eating spicy foods I usually go for sweeter whites-namely German or German style whites with their sweetness and nice acidity. If your food is not overly spicy there are also some reds that will go with it such as fruitier Merlots or even a few of the fruitier Pinots, but be careful with the reds, the tannin can really make spicy foods burn even more. That said, I will, almost always go for beer. Beer is the perfect match for spicy foods. Crisp, highly hopped beers can refresh the palate, while darker, sweeter, maltier beers will coat the mouth and act almost in the same manner as using milk to cook the heat of foods.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everyone..thanks for the info, the wine went well with the meal. Last night I made Chicken baked with Garlic, Feta, Oregano and a lemon sauce, baked in a dutch oven for 1.5 hours served over orzo. I didn't have time to look up any food pairing info, and I opened a La Crema Pinot Noir. It wasn't my favorite combo...maybe a chardonnay or sauv blanc might have done better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.