Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Chef Talk!

So … I want to know where you stand.
let’s say you work for a company where you enjoy many benefits that aren’t always common in the industry. BUT the culture is incredibly toxic … do you stay or do you go? More importantly … how do you keep a toxic culture from affecting your headspace when you’re at work, & as someone in a management position … how can you disarm the culture & try to make things better? If other managers contribute to creating a negative environment, how do you approach them professionally to express your concerns?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
If you voice your concerns you’ll probably find out what I found out… “they” are part of the problem. You might get lip service but might not get much more. I lived in a highly toxic work environment for about 5 years because there was ways to avoid some of the toxicity, and I was 5 years from retirement. Although I enjoyed the work and benefits the knowledge that retirement was close was what really kept me going. On the first day when all the stars aligned right, I retired. If you are not in such a position move on. But don’t let them know too much about your dissatisfaction and job seeking or it’s possible that retaliation will be the result. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
One thing I have learned in my 40- odd years in kitchens is that there is no “ perfect” workplace. At one extreme is a workplace with super-great co-workers and superiors, but the walk-in is 6x6 and toured working on crappy banquet tables with pieces of abs pipe to bring them up to working height, with a layer of loose, chipped laminate floating over two tables, and the only toilet is 400 feet and one flight of stairs away. The other extreme is a kitchen designed and built by NASA, but the Chef is an evil ( deleted) who describes himself as a “ benevolent dictator “ who pulls you into his office to brag about previous exploits wile his butt licking assistant oozes intonyourvkitchen to dig up dirt and seed misery among your staff.

Pick and choose, stick with your choice for one year less a day, and plot and scheme within that year to find a greener patch of grass when you exit....

Reactions: MaryJane666
1 - 4 of 4 Posts