Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with the storage of carrots that have been peeled and processed (cut into sticks) for service and are in water in my walkin cooler.They are not lasting very long,they turn slimy if you do not drain and replace the water. Anyone have any ideas of something that may be put in the water or another form of storage for the carrots?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Air and water are your ennemies. Keep them in container with a great seal (a Tupperware-type container).

Also, desirable storage conditions for carrots are a temperature of 0 C (32 F) with a relative humidity of 98 to 100%.

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
If you must cut carrots that far in advance, don't keep them in water. Besides making the carrots soggy, it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria as cooks dip their dirty hands into, especially if you are not changing out the water every shift. I usually keep cut, uncooked carrots in the cooler, topped with a damp towel to keep them from drying out, and then wrapping tightly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.