There's nothing I love more than strawberries, and while the local season is basically over, you can still get them organically at the produce store.

My mom grabbed a couple cartons of said organic strawberries for me Baby E a few days ago. They were already quite ripe and there was no way we were going to go through them before they started to spoil. That's the way it goes with organic fruit! So what's a mama to do?
Make muffins, of course!

I adapted a recipe for whole grain strawberry oatmeal muffins from Good Life Eats. I wanted to only use what I had on hand (since it was a toddler-is-napping-must-take-advantage-of-the-time-and-bake kind of situation) and to make it somewhat allergy-friendly. So, here it is!

bowl of strawberries with wooden spoon

plate of strawberry oatmeal muffins and strawberries

Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins (dairy and refined sugar free)
Makes 12 large muffins

1 cup steel cut oats, you can use rolled or quick oats as well
2 and 1/3 cups sprouted whole grain spelt flour (or you could substitute whole wheat flour here instead)
3 tsp baking powder
Pinch of kosher salt
Zest of one small lemon, grated
1 cup coconut milk
3 tbs coconut oil, measured in liquid form
1 large free range egg
1/3 cup agave or honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cup chopped strawberries, preferably organic

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup muffin tin with papers.

Measure all the dry ingredients (up to and including the zest) into a large bowl. Whisk well to combine.

In a large measuring cup, whisk together the wet ingredients.

Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients app at once. Mix together with a fork. Yes, a fork. This helps the ingredients combine while decreasing the chances of over mixing the batter. Once the batter is wet and lumpy, fold in the strawberries with the fork.

Fill each cup in the tin to the top and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and the tops spring back when touched.

You could also make these into mini muffins. Adjust the baking time to 8-10 minutes. You should get between 24 and 36 muffins depending on the size of your mini muffin tin.

Enjoy!

strawberry oatmeal muffins and strawberries

dish of strawberry oatmeal muffins and strawberries