Chef Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's only a few days that I am trying to follow your interesting discussions up. I am not sure that I have figured out yet how the systems functions, so, I will post my question to several forums.Sorry about that!

This year I planted two varieties of tomatoes. I had in my mind to prepare (among other things of course) sun-dried tomatoes. All my attempts have failed so far :-(
It's such a disaster! I put them under the sun, covered by coarse sea salt. They become so salty that you cannot eat them afterwards. If I skip the sea salt they go rotten within 2 days. Another day wasps ...attacked them.
I hung them by a rope as they do in the island of Santorini. i think that I've been feeding the bees and the birds of the whole area...
Do you have any ideas about that? I begin to have doubts whether sun dried tomatoes exist or they are just tomatoes dried in the oven.
Please help me! I have about 20p of tomatoes waiting ...
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
111 Posts
i've never tried drying them in the sun, but i've dried them in the oven tons of times. it works well.

cut them how you like (usually i halve them or peel and seed them and then work with the little "rosettes" you get) and then place them on a rack over a sheetpan.

where i worked we left them in the turned-off oven overnight...but you could use your oven on it's lowest setting if you want it to go faster. good luck.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I want to keep the greek tradition, I have to send a jar of sun dried tomatoes to everyone that helped me :rolleyes:
Thanks a lot! I used the oven and this was the end of the adventure!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.