Chef Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need recommendation to an alternative, a different brand, to Martini and Rossi Sweet Vermouth as an aperitif. Just exploring.

The way I prepare the aperitif is to drop an ice cube into a glass (that's smaller than an old fashioned glass) , pour in some sweet vermouth, and finally add a twist of lemon zest. The drink is light and tasty.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I usually use grinded ice instead of ice-cubes.

I will try the lemon peel, I have never thought of that.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
KOKO,

Are you looking for a different "Brand" of vermouth? A different way to prepare your vermouth? or a whole new aperitif?

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CC, I'm searching for a different brand of vermouth.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone tried Campari along with the other sweet vermouths mentioned in this thread? How does it compare it terms of flavor to the others?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Kokopuffs,

I honestly am not a big fan of vermouth and Campari as a drink, I do like to cook with vermouth though.

Have you ever tried Lillet from France? It's a very nice golden colored Aparitif flavored with orange.

It has a nice balance of acid to help stimulate your taste buds
cc

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Oh, CC -- for once I must disagree with you. I LOVE Campari! On the rocks, with a twist of lemon. It is lightly sweet, lightly bitter, and lightly alcoholic; makes an excellent aperitif in that it really stimulates the juices in the mouth. Lillet, on the other hand, I find merely sweet and insipid (both light and dark versions).

Although to my palate, the best aperitifs are 1) a glass of champagne or good quality domestic sparkling wine or 2) a lovely dry fino or manzanilla sherry. Lustau makes some consistenly excellent sherries for not very high prices.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some weeks have passed since the last post, allowing me to evaluate several sweet vermouths. Side by side tastings were not conducted. Here are my preferences in descending order:

Noilly & Pratt: not quite as round and sweet as Martini & Rossi, but equally sweet as Cinzano. Expresses a very silght bitterness reminescent of Benedictine. Great on the rocks with a thin slice of lemon to balance the bitterness.

Martini & Rossi: round and slightly sweet. No bitterness like al the others. Again great on the rocks with a twist of lemon peel for sharpness.

Cinzano: slightly more bitterness that Noilly & Pratt and benefits greatly with a thin slice of lemon for balance. Less sweet and less round than M&R.

Campari: way too bitter for me yet tastes good mixed with fresh grapefruit juice on the rocks.

Lillet (orange colored): yeeeech is all I can say. It gives me stomach cramps. So bitter that it really needs citrus slices. I plan to give it a try as either a spritzer or a marinade for pork.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.