Chef Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
This is called a lack of explanatory depth. Its a sign you don't know what you're talking about. Other barbecue circles can explain the sensation of moisture at higher finish temps being primarily fat. Try mad scientist bbq or chuds bbq on YouTube for example.
haven't changed in all these years - still a snotty as ever I see.
read the post - the topic is brasing - which I suppose only us really stupid people do not consider a high heat method.

· Registered
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I googled and can't seem to find an explanation for the term "high finish temperature".

· Registered
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What I've noticed at the book entitled Tacolicious is that their tacos consist of two tortillas each -- thick flour tortillas. That's a "grok" experience. I will now state, I won't allow snob nor snob know-it-alls nor name callers to post here. You will be blocked. And I don't like being labeled as a thief (see earlier post in this very thread. BACK OFF.). This thread indeed will be a nice thread. Tacolicious. For me the book is full of inspiration.

· Registered
4,613 Posts
What I've noticed at the book entitled Tacolicious is that their tacos consist of two tortillas each -- thick flour tortillas. That's a "grok" experience. I will now state, I won't allow snob nor snob know-it-alls nor name callers to post here. You will be blocked. And I don't like being labeled as a thief (see earlier post in this very thread. BACK OFF.). This thread indeed will be a nice thread. Tacolicious. For me the book is full of inspiration.
Why are you being so aggressive and mean-spirited. YOU are about to be blocked too. This isn’t the @kokopuffs that I remember. Please don’t ruin the site for the rest of us.

· Registered
4,613 Posts
You can also come to LA. There’s one here too. It’s an upscale and expensive taco place. Over $7 each. There’s enough “honest Mexican tradition“ but Sara really puts, as cheffy chefs like to say, “with a twist”; in this case a San Francisco twist.

Regarding tortillas, that’s one thing that they really get right. Double tortilla is very traditional Mexican. In US that’s often criticized as being “filler” but it really balances a taco better. Tacolicious tortillas are really what justifies their cost… freshly made with a high-end masa. That’s corn. Never saw the book and probably never will so let us know if Sara tells one story in the book and serves another in her restaurants.

All that said… we have fewer Sonoran Mexican, which prefer flour tortillas than we have Michoacán (and other Central Mexican) who favor corn tortillas. Those places sell tacos for half the Tacolicious price, or less than half on Tuesday.

… and I totally understand how Sara can be inspirational and like her flavor profiles. Theatmosphere at the restaurant is fun too.

· Registered
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Mmmmmm. My family from South Gate...the Tweedy Mile. I remember looking over the fence at my aunt's house in Downey and seeing barns and empty fields. CLIFTON'S CAFETERIA!

· Registered
4,613 Posts
Clifton’s… one of my wife’s most favorite childhood memories. She still fantasizes about the cafeteria line, ham with cherry sauce, and the jello in cubes. I ate there once. It was, ummm… interesting. (The downtown LA) No longer anything like what it once was. Was there another Clifton’s Cafeteria out East?

For those who don’t know what we are discussing:

· Registered
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Clifton’s… one of my wife’s most favorite childhood memories. She still fantasizes about the cafeteria line, ham with cherry sauce, and the jello in cubes. I ate there once. It was, ummm… interesting. (The downtown LA) No longer anything like what it once was. Was there another Clifton’s Cafeteria out East?

For those who don’t know what we are discussing:

The last time I ate at Clifton's was around Christmas, 1967. It closed sever years thereafter, in the 1970s, I thought. Until now, I knew nothing of their history because I was a youngster and focused only on the food and not the decor. And yes, I'm referring to the one in old downtown L.A..

21 - 40 of 40 Posts