Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By now I am sure that most of you have heard of this new movement. It is a chef and restaurant driven movement to save the Patagonian Toothfish (there is no such thing as Chilean Sea Bass, as I am sure many of you are aware). The fish is in serious trouble from overfishing. Though, there are limits to the catch, another 2 times that amount is taken illegally by poachers. The fish is slow to mature, and really needs a break to get the population back on track. Years ago it wasn't uncommon to take 200 pound fish, now fishermen consider themselves very lucky to pull a 60 pound fish. Not only are we taking too many of these out of the ocean, many that we take have not even reached maturity and had a chance to reproduce.

Chefs, proved that they could make a difference a few years ago, when they became involved in a self-imposed ban on swordfish. In just a few years, the swordfish population bounced back and populations seem to be remaining much more stable. I urge all chefs (and dinners also) to embrace this cause. I have been doing it for a few years now, as I have seen this coming, thanks to the National Geographic Society and the Audabon (I know I didn't spell that one right) Society. Unlike swordfish, this must be a much longer ban, as this fish does not mature at nearly the rate that Swordfish do. Besides, there are so many other great fish out there to serve and eat.

·
Super Moderator
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In Chicago, the Field Museum will not allow any of its caterers to serve CSB at any parties held there until the self-imposed ban is over.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.