Chef Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine, from Mexico, led me through a "blind taste test" of 12 Tequila Reposados. It was a GREAT experience. Now, I'm looking for some of the brands I liked that aren't available here in Palo Rojo (otherwise known as Baton Rouge.)

The brands I'm looking for (and will drive quite a ways for....) are -

Centenela, El Cabrito, and Corralejo.

And, ... what's your favorite Tequila ???

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, thanks for the replys -

CapeChef & Dick, you know your tequila (good stuff, Herradura, Don Julio, and El Tesoro in particular, Patron is good, too.)

Shroomgirl, you have such vivid memories of New Orleans. And as Dick said, good Reposado or Anejo is meant to be sipped - slowly, lol.
Let the college kids shoot the Cuervo Blanco.

And pooh, how about some good recipes for cooking with tequila????

For the "Jose" drinkers .. try Cuervo Traditional (with the crow in the bottle neck - very good reposado.)

For the sauza drinker, try their Galardon reposado, very smooth.

Afra - tequila is a double-distilled spirit made from the "blue" agave plant grown only in 5 states of Mexico, Jalisco being the biggest tequila producer. Tequila comes in 4 grades: Blanco, or Silver (clear 80 proof, right off the stills.) Gold, just like Blanco with caramel color and/or flavor added. Reposado, "rested in large wooden vats for 2 mo. to 1 year; and Anejo, aged in small wooden casks from 1 to 4 years (very mellow stuff.)

:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cchiu, great article about tequila history & culture.

And, pooh, thanks for the "yummy-sounding" recipes.

Momoreg, mezcal is fermented agave that is not double-distilled and is not regulated by the Mexican gvmt. like tequila is. THIS is the bottle with the worm in it, not tequila. I've yet to try some, and I hear that there's a brand called Encantado (Enchanted) that is suppose to be drinkable. The predecesor to both mezcal and tequila is called pulque, enjoyed by the Mayans, pre-Spanish.

[ April 11, 2001: Message edited by: Bayou ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.