Chef Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how much some folks despise Yelp but I’m thanking them for saving me from bitter disappointment. On a recent road-trip through a remote and scenic town I saw a really cute roadhouse steakhouse. It’s a 1-hour drive to get back there and I was thinking it would be a fun experience for my beloved bride… until I read the glowing reviews and looked at the accompanying pictures.

Wallpaper paste or country gravy? Neither… New England clam chowder

Food Tableware Ingredient Condiment Kitchen utensil

I can’t even write a witty description for this steak and mashed potato and vegetable dinner; I just can’t:
Food Ingredient Condiment Recipe Tableware

and again… there just aren’t the right words:
Food Tableware Ingredient Dishware Recipe

THANKS YELP!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The eggs in that salad look terrible!

I always look at reviews when I am trying someplace new and I go for the worst ones first.. if "there were no free refills on soft drinks" was the worst someone had to say about a place then I am pretty sure it will be ok but if many people say that the food was awful then I stay away for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pictures of the food can be worth a lot! Haha. As a warning sometimes.
I use Yelp a lot. I know people can be just in a bad mood before they even go to a restaurant, and other things could get in the way that aren't really about the restaurant, and they write an undeserved bad review. I think most people looking at Yelp these days understand that.

But pictures don't lie :)

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
The crinkle cut carrots did it for me, the hard boiled? eggs confirmed it again. Pictures don’t lie, and I am grateful for honest pictures.

That being said..... It’s undisputed that Yelp does not have editors, whatever goes, goes. I think they call this a “ logorythm”? I became painfully aware of this 12 years ago when my business was reviewed The creator? of the Yelp review wrote a four-pager, lashing out at the architect of the building, building material choices, impact of the building on the neighbourhood, butt-tum, ahh, well, the ( deleted) reviewer failed to comment on the food, pricing, service, and decor of my business. And this dreck gets published? Hey, you don’t like what I make, that’s an honest opinion and I’ll respect that. But to complain about the architectural impact of a 8 unit commercial, 45 residential unit building? Wrong platform, try Architects anonymous. Editor please? Of course the icing on the cake was when Yelp emailed me with a special offer to remove the negative review fo a low, low price of $499.

I’ll hop off my soapbox now....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Apparently online reviews are a thing now. I try to ignore all of the noise and hype. I'm hearing that we have glowing reviews on the various media platforms. Not a lot of them yet but they are growing.

I'm seeing pictures from inside our place all over on the internet. Pictures of our food and customers. Who had time to make these? I've been running like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. The farmers market came and went....they wiped out our display cases that were full.
Samples were given out and everything just sold. Who are these people who review? We've been lucky in finding good staff so far. (What few we have) I know that I work to fill the cases and store with breads and goodies to sell....but seeing them wiped out made me want to cry because of all the work it took to fill them.

But we have gotten rave reviews on several social media platforms including yelp as well as Google and Facebook....dunno who these people are but I am glad they liked the food and coffee and service.

So....I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. There's a "Karen" in every city on every day.

Hopefully she won't find out we are open for a while.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Basically there are two camps of reviewers. The first group are the non- professionals- people who are genuinely interested in your business, see it as welcome addition to their neighbourhood, die-hard food connoisseur, etc. These are the reviewers you want. One of the best ( and well written) reviews I had was written by a retired trial lawyer who just though my place was a nice place to have coffee with his wife and really liked what I had to offer.

The second group are the professionals. My definition of a professional is someone who earns his/ her income solely from his/ her profession—they gotta make buck from you either directly or indirectly. Now, yelp et al are businesses and they gotta make a buck and they do this by advertising, which makes you the advertising client. Once the reviews for your place come in, and they will be consistently high until you are contacted, you will be “ hit up” to advertise with them, or gawd forbid engage in some kind of a “ rewards program”.

The indie professional blogger deserves special attention, because once online media has discovered and posted about you, you are on their radar and become their lawful prey. Unless you are a mega hotel it’s not worth actually coming down and checking your place out, no, they’ll contact you and tell you they’d like to do a review of your place, so could you reserve a table of four for this Saturday at one? Oh and by the way we have X followers and readers of our blogs/ websites and since we are helping you develop your business, whatever we order is on the house. Outright refusal will result in indignation, veiled threats of retaliation and a repeat request. You’re in between a rock and a hard place because there are a lot of these people, and the more online presence you have the easier it is for these people to know you exist and hit you up. Catch 43, you could say.... Whatchyaneedtodo is check out their blog. Then you write back and tell them you’d be delighted to book that table BUT, you need a disclaimer on their blog informing their readers that the review was partially or fully sponsored by YOUR business. 99.99% of the bloogers don’t do this, and this is one of the few cards you can play.

Been there, done that, don’t have the t-shirt, but I still have a case of logo’d aprons in the garage....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts