Chef Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lately been thinking that it is time to start documenting my experiences with food, rather than just record successfull recipes. I would really appreciate it if any of you keep some sort of a diary to hear whether you have found real value in keeping note of your attempts, your thoughts, etc.

· Registered
4,130 Posts
What you suggest should be required of every culinary student!

The closest I come to keeping a diary is my kitchen calendar, where I list each night's dinner menu. It mainly serves to jog my memory -- what did I do with the leftover roast lamb? for example. Otherwise I just try to remember how I did something before, and build on that. Not the most scientific way to go about it, but I'm lucky to still have a good memory (for the failures as well as the successes).

I DO go into far more detail when I list my party menus, such as what I used to marinate the olives, or what went into the smoked salmon mousse, etc. Those are also the times that I note which wines were served. These either go into the "Meals Eaten" file on their own, or into the calendar, which ends up there eventually.

· Registered
1,508 Posts
I agree with Suzanne, especially if you are a type that put his thoughts into order GS
I am such a type and I do that definetely.
I play with cake decorations lately and the more I practice the more typing I have to do later on my observations :)

· Registered
307 Posts
I love keeping diaries. It's a great way to record your thoughts and experiences. Are you thinking of keeping one handwritten, or on the computer? I use an online diary site that you can keep a password on, or make public. Send me a message if you want some online diary sites.

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Kate, can you post the url for this on-line diary please?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.