Chef Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a white chicken chili with white beans that became quite thick when chilled. A few days later it became much thinner even though we added nothing to it. I understand that corn starch as a thickener can eventually lead to a thinner sauce pretty quickly. Beans make for a thicker soup. Why would it thin out? On an earlier thread it was mentioned acids can cause this because they break down the starches. Would this be why? Soup had quite a bit of verde salsa in it.
I haven't experienced this with beans, just corn starch. Any other explanations?
Thank you

·
Registered
56 Posts
Corn starch naturally loses its thickening power as it ages. Better alternatives include tapioca flour, potato starch, and masa harina. Refried beans will also thicken chili. For best flavor, the masa harina adds a wonderful corn tortilla flavor to the chili. When adding beans to chili (Texans, please ignore), I also add the can liqueur, as it adds both flavor, and body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The thickening of the soup can be done by using the following steps - use flour and corn flour to thick and use bread pieces for thickening the soup this will help in making the soup thick, you can also use yogurt to thicken the soup also

1 - 5 of 5 Posts