Chef Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do no-foodies have the annoying habit of consistently telling me I have a big ego? Does this habit fall into the same category as assuming all chefs throw things and yell at everybody?
I just came out of a meeting with my contract administrator and he said something like "we know you have a big ego, but we'll work around it."
I don't walk around the kitchen acting like I can 'do no wrong'. Nor do I talk down to anyone. I have admitted mistakes and defended other staff members in need. It seems like the other chefs I talk to get the same 'ribbing' from other people. What gives? If we pull off a good meal, we can't 'high five'?? We can't relish in the warmth of a job well done?
Well, I'm ranting... but don't we spend as much time in school and interning as a Doctor!!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Sometime people confuse self-confidence with arrogance"

Sisi... I think you speak volumes in one, short sentence! This is the sentiment I was in search of. It appears that I am not the only one that feels this way. Pity, really, that so many customers/peers/etc can't recognize confidence and make themselves look unintelligent by dismissing a chef's ability and calling him/her an ego-maniac.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.