Chef Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made Turkey stock with leftover carcass. I brought it to a boil then let simmer 3 hours. I noticed it was extremely “oily” yet there was no visible fat to skim. Once done I let it cool down some then refrigerated it hoping the fat would rise and solidify, after almost 12 hours that didn’t happen and it’s still “oily”. Is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
5,143 Posts
I would imagine your simmer may have been a tad high and the fat emulsified as a result. Should rectify with more refrigerator time. Another option would be to put it back on very low heat and when you see the first bubbles of simmer start to form turn heat off and let sit. Stock will in effect break like a hollandaise when exposed to heat, and fat will separate out and rise to top and then can be skimmed off.

· Registered
2,717 Posts
If you want to really clarify the stock completely, and are willing to wait, you can dissolve enough gelatin in it so that it sets like medium-soft jello. Once it's completely set, cut it in fat cubes, put them in a ziploc bag, and freeze at least 24 hours. This breaks the gelling most of the way. Now put the cubes in cheesecloth and set that to hang over a big measuring cup or the like in the fridge. In about 24-48 hours, the liquid will have drained off, leaving behind all impurities -- including the fat -- in a gelatinous sludge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts