Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently working through a very old French haute cuisine book by the Troisgros brothers which I picked up in a charity shop recently. As with many old cookbooks there are no illustrations so presentation requires some guesswork. I’m wondering how people would interpret the following. From a recipe for wild boar cutlets:
Choose (4) half ripe pears, cut them into four … and turn them into the shape of 16 large olives 3cm long
(You then glaze them by boiling them in water, butter and sugar- no quantities given)
Is there a standard technique for “turning” fruit into olive shapes? Just get creative with a knife?
And does anyone know the proportions for this glazing technique?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I’m currently working through a very old French haute cuisine book by the Troisgros brothers which I picked up in a charity shop recently. As with many old cookbooks there are no illustrations so presentation requires some guesswork. I’m wondering how people would interpret the following. From a recipe for wild boar cutlets:

(You then glaze them by boiling them in water, butter and sugar- no quantities given)
Is there a standard technique for “turning” fruit into olive shapes? Just get creative with a knife?
And does anyone know the proportions for this glazing technique?
I'd poach them in heavy syrup or they'll get mushy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts