Chef Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

1. I use my cutting board every eve for dinner, and wash it after each use. Hot, soapy water. I am finding that I need to mineral oil it every three days. Is this normal?

2. I heard somewhere that you can buy a blacklight (?) to see if there is any bacteria on the board. Will any one do, or is there a specific kind to get?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
360 Posts
i would hot soapy water only after cutting proteins. if only cutting veg or fruit, a quick rinse should be enough. every 3 days is what your board needs, seems ok. maybe the next time you use oil, use a lot, allow to stand for 1/2 hour or so. add another coat and let stand. do this until there are no patches where oil soaks in. other alternative would be a mineral oil/beeswax paste which should stand up to washing better.
i would not waste money on a blacklight. in tests, wood prevented bacteria from multiplying and gradually killed any that were missed by washing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.