Chef Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Mexican Grocery store today and saw some things that were new to me that I was hoping you folks might be able to help me with.

First up were Peruana beans. They had a lot of these but I don't recall seeing them before. I suspect from the name that they are a Peruvian bean but I've not seen a particular recipe or dish that uses them. So how are they commonly used?

Then there was a bundle of long thin seed pods, light green to brown in color. If I got the labels oriented correctly they were called Huaje Verde? What are these and what are they for?

Lastly, there was another produce item the size of huge pear but more egg shaped than pear shaped. A medium green color with many 1/2 inch hairs. They were next to what looked to me like Prickly Pear Fruit. Again, if I got the labels right it was a xoconostle.

I don't speak spanish so the names of the last two items are just guesses.

· Registered
794 Posts
Peruano beans are very similar to pinto. They are used a lot in restaurants, probably not the guests' knowledge. I use them at home instead of pinto. They cook up a bit faster and I like the taste. They can be used to replace pintos in any dish.

I've seen those bean pods before but I don't know what to do with them. Also, I can't picture those other things you are talking about. I'm sure I've seen them, because I've frequented some Mexican Markets in So Cal.

Never used Ezpazote.

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip on Peruana beans.

I was playing with Google images and it looks like the xoconstle was the prickly pear fruit type thing. I've not had luck with the other terms on google images.

They also had an extreme light green stubby zuchinni type squash. Obviously squash, just never seen that one either.

Phil

· Registered
186 Posts
Prickly Pear fruit or "Tuna" can be found red or green

The pear shaped fruit has me puzzled. Because of the hairs I though you might be referring to the prickly pear. Could it have been chayote?

Consider picking up a copy of the cookbook, Dona Tomas. It has a good section on chiles, fruits & vegs, herbs and cheeses.

· Registered
498 Posts
Tamarindo....the pods I mean...sounds like it....the other may be pitaya....
or if you got the name right....I think thats a cactus pear of a different type.
Name sounds familiar.....maybe Puebla....should have a watermelon type flavor..
only not as sweet.......???????? Lots of cacti around the world.....

· Registered
4,808 Posts
Could be worse. You could be staring at many, many strange and unknown things at the Chinatown market. I need an interpreter when I go there!

mjb.

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Google translate or Google lens will do camera text translations. It's how I set up my Chinese Inkpalm e-reader to work well enough in English. I've used it a few times at the Asian grocer too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts