Chef Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,530 Posts
I worked with FSA for many years. I remember being a Chef Manager in a private club in the 80's. I did a lot of catering's on the weekends. I would have 6 salesman showing up on Monday morning quoting me prices on 109 prime rib. I would be in my office yelling out to them " How much per pound for 25 cases of prime rib. I would hear yells back at me $2.01, then, OH shit I can't beat that. Then $1.99, then silence. I would yell back $1.99 once, twice,.....$1.99 got it.......... Those days are over. I also remember the salesman screwing up a order on a Friday that was needed for that evenings service. The Salesman would drive the 150 miles to Spokane to pick it up and bring it back to the Club.

I'm not sure why anyone needs a salesperson nowadays. Everyone should have the order sheet on their computer along with the whole order catalog. The only way you'll get good pricing is to have a high volume restaurant. If your small you'll never get good pricing. When my company was small I did a lot of local shopping. Getting your product delivered is nice but in no way giving you the best prices.

When I had three accounts in three high volume foodservice's I negotiated not only the time of delivery and pricing but also the delivery driver putting the product away.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.