Chef Forum banner

Very focused question on buying a santuko

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  SkipII 
#1 ·
This forum obviously has a great body of knowledge.e I'm hoping I can focus that on what I've decided I want in a santuko. If you can grant me some grace of this, I really would prefer not to get ideas that are outside my considerations, since that usually just confuses me!

Here goes:

Looking for a carbon steel, a type that will develop a patina, not be reactive the rest of its natural life. Two sided (western) but need not be 50/50 as long as I can get an offset that will fit left-hander.

A fairly flat belly is important to me. I also ready have a nice gyoto, so I'm looking for something that clearly enjoys push cutting and chopping, not rocking.

Handles don't matter than much to me - rivets or not, round or flat.

Here's the kicker: Really need to try to keep this under $150.

Does that leave anything?!

#4 · (Edited)
I realize I opened myself up to the Tojiro recommendations. Thank you, met a lot of the ritieria except for the one I did not express -- aesthetics.

It does matter to me that I have a feel of quality and better materials, such as the handle material. I'm not looking to throw money at bling, but I need to take it up a notch from what I'm sure is a reasonably utilitarian knife for many.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Shigeki's work is top notch. I've owned one of his gyutos before and it is stellar. A very good friend owns it now. The only santoku I've owned was a Shun that I gave my wife. Of all the Classic series the santoku and the paring knives are the only ones I've like. Don't b too quick to diss the Tojiros they are good knives for the money and I still own two of the ITK series blades. A 150mm petty and a 210mm gyuto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.