Chef Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm looking for some advice on becoming a pastry chef. I'm 29 and making a major career change. If my goal is to become a pastry chef, is it better to go through a culinary arts program such at The Art Institute of Colorado for an associates dregree and then progress from there? Or, is it smarter to go into a pastry-specific program? The pastry program I'm looking at is The Cooking School of the Rockies (not accredited by the ACF) Also, how important is it to attend a school that is accredited? Can I become a certified pastry chef by attending a school that's not affiliated with the ACF?

I will greatly appreciate any advice.

AmyM

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Panini

Thanks for your response. I'm a little confused, however. Are you saying that I can become an AFC certified pastry chef without going to a school accredited by the AFC? Or, do I simply need schooling (wherever that might be) and experience?

Thanks again for your time.

AmyM

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Annie,

Thank you for sharing your story. It's so encouraging to know that others have done this successfully.

I'm trying to do exactly what you've suggested. I'm talking to local restaurants about jobs and looking at the French Pastry School in Chicago.

Congratulations for having the courage to take the leap.

I do, by the way, have those obsessive compulsive tendancies. I had no idea they would come in handy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.